Still Need Help on Repairing Rocking Chair

I have two old rocking chairs (1930 and 1940's), each with rocker broken from the upright spindle. I need to know how to replace/repair the spindle to the rocker. I've read somewhere about using a dowel between the rocker and spindle but I'm not sure of exactly how the process went nor am I confident that there would be strength at the point - I would like to use the rockers. Help would be appreciated.
Jim Pettway
I used threaded rod and blocks with holes for the rods. Washers and nuts help to force the top/seat from the spindles so a replacement could be made, then reassembly. Got a srynge at pet store for HOT vinegar to soften glue.
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:28:02 -0500, "Jim Pettway"