sticky table top

I have a dining room table i bought @ 5 years ago made supposedly from old barn materials. The store I purchased it at is now closed, so i don't know exactly what kind of finish is on it, but a friend who does some woodworking says it appears to be varnish. In the late spring, the finish started getting very sticky. We atributed it to humidity, but it is now chilly october and there is no humidity, but when you put papers on the table, they stick. I need suggestiuons as to how to remedy this without refinishing, as I have no idea if I could take on such a project, and can not afford for someone else to do it. Thank you in advance

Reply to
wbduke