Stickley reproduction with a few twists

Here are two pics of a recently finished project

is a Stickley #601 Tabouret reproduction.

  1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top
  2. Done in Cherry vs traditional White Oak
  3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of satin poly on the top
  4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Beautiful. Really like the use of natural wood elements in the piece. Well done.

Reply to
Swingman

I like it, too. Good job.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

ry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures = today.

Love it, especially the beauty of grain around the cracked edge. When we w= ere trimming our house we did the old-style heavy door and window headers. = I was cutting the vertical trim pieces and almost pitched a section that h= ad a large open "goober" with figured grain around it. I thought "what the= heck" and installed it with the distressed section in the center of the ey= ebrow window and at eye level. That piece of junk wood has gotten some goo= d comments.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

That top is tops!

Reply to
tommyboy

bouret reproduction. 1. I used a wild-edge/cracked and distressed top 2. Do= ne in Cherry vs traditional White Oak 3. Oil finish with minor wipe on of s= atin poly on the top 4. I will kill the sheen a bit when I wax it but I am = waiting for it to dry and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon = so I took pictures today.

I meant to mention that I put butterfly inlays across the crack on the unde= rside at each end so it won't break off over time.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

In considering "naturally designed" pieces of wood for any use, keep in min= d: Hardly any natural pieces (of anything, actually) are straight or hav= e straight lines or edges, like milled lumber. I think, about the only str= aight lines or edges, in nature, is in or with rock, ice or similar crystal= s. =20

Try to coordinate your project's design with the offering from nature. Oft= en times, with little effort, things just turn out great.... and, of cours= e, each natural piece is unique, to boot!

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

ind: Hardly any natural pieces (of anything, actually) are straight or have= straight lines or edges, like milled lumber. I think, about the only strai= ght lines or edges, in nature, is in or with rock, ice or similar crystals.= Try to coordinate your project's design with the offering from nature. Oft= en times, with little effort, things just turn out great.... and, of course= , each natural piece is unique, to boot! Sonny

Sonny, I am not quite sure why your posts always seem to me to be a bit on = off on some meandering tangent. May I ask; do you often or have ever smoked= a lot of weed???

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Nope, LOL. Never smoked or did any drugs, except perscription ones. I sup= pose my meanderdering thoughts are the result of my upbringing and formal s= chooling.

I grew up on a farm. I think that's been a plus. Sometime in grade school= or high school, I realized the art of and in nature. My first major in co= llege was Wildlife Biology and spent many hours/days in the woods, studying= whatever. When I graduated WB, the only job available was working in a fi= sh hatchery for $300/mo. I went back to school in engineering, Basic Desig= n Technology, and subsequently worked at Placid Refinery, in Port Allen, La= . for 2 years, then had the opportunity to get into the medical field (foll= owing my brother), where I spent 23 yrs before retiring. I now have lots o= f time to reflect on lots of things, especially my woods wanderings and the= like, as when younger.

Whether my rationale is on track or not, I simply enjoy thinking and trying= to perform tasks in various genre, disciplines or combinations of. When a= subject strikes me a certain way, I express my opinion, to show my thought= s and why.

I think, in a nut shell, I've always been passionate about nature and what = it has to offer, including its art. I guess I was explaining, from a diffe= rent perspective, why I liked your project. I, too, sometimes wonder if I'= m just off the beaten path or lost in the woods. With many of my projects,= I've tried to have as few straight lines or edges as possible, as in natur= e. When folks see the piece, their first instinct, I find, is they want to= touch it, to feel it. I'll bet that's what you've experienced with your t= able (top): folks want to touch it, not just view it.

Ever look straight up a tall tree. Trees don't "grow" straight up. They g= row in a spiral, upwards. Its neat! Nature has lots of "odd things" about= itself. It has been and still is enjoyable discovering them. =20

I suppose, searching for and/or discovering nature's art can be an addictio= n/addicting. In my retirement years, I find myself having more time to thi= nk and do, as in my younger years, just slower doing. My approach or sense= , for a project, is more from/for the natural esthetics and art side, rathe= r than from/with the technical aspects of producing the piece. Combining b= oth is a plus. Hardly anyone readily sees the technical aspects, though. = Their initial view or perspective is of the art or esthetics, as with your = table. I think other comments, here, were in the ball park of my comment. = I just pointed out something, specific, I've discovered about most of natur= e's products... no straight lines or edges... represented, in several ways,= in your table project.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:37:13 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

pose my meanderdering thoughts are the result of my upbringing and formal s= chooling. I grew up on a farm. I think that's been a plus. Sometime in grad= e school or high school, I realized the art of and in nature. My first majo= r in college was Wildlife Biology and spent many hours/days in the woods, s= tudying whatever. When I graduated WB, the only job available was working i= n a fish hatchery for $300/mo. I went back to school in engineering, Basic = Design Technology, and subsequently worked at Placid Refinery, in Port Alle= n, La. for 2 years, then had the opportunity to get into the medical field = (following my brother), where I spent 23 yrs before retiring. I now have lo= ts of time to reflect on lots of things, especially my woods wanderings and= the like, as when younger. Whether my rationale is on track or not, I simp= ly enjoy thinking and trying to perform tasks in various genre, disciplines= or combinations of. When a subject strikes me a certain way, I express my = opinion, to show my thoughts and why. I think, in a nut shell, I've always = been passionate about nature and what it has to offer, including its art. I= guess I was explaining, from a different perspective, why I liked your pro= ject. I, too, sometimes wonder if I'm just off the beaten path or lost in t= he woods. With many of my projects, I've tried to have as few straight line= s or edges as possible, as in nature. When folks see the piece, their first= instinct, I find, is they want to touch it, to feel it. I'll bet that's wh= at you've experienced with your table (top): folks want to touch it, not ju= st view it. Ever look straight up a tall tree. Trees don't "grow" straight = up. They grow in a spiral, upwards. Its neat! Nature has lots of "odd thing= s" about itself. It has been and still is enjoyable discovering them. I sup= pose, searching for and/or discovering nature's art can be an addiction/add= icting. In my retirement years, I find myself having more time to think and= do, as in my younger years, just slower doing. My approach or sense, for a= project, is more from/for the natural esthetics and art side, rather than = from/with the technical aspects of producing the piece. Combining both is a= plus. Hardly anyone readily sees the technical aspects, though. Their init= ial view or perspective is of the art or esthetics, as with your table. I t= hink other comments, here, were in the ball park of my comment. I just poin= ted out something, specific, I've discovered about most of nature's product= s... no straight lines or edges... represented, in several ways, in your ta= ble project. Sonny

I don't know man. I think somebody is slipping you some magic brownies or s= omething. ;^)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On 10/11/2012 12:30 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

[...]

It's the mushrooms in that sauce piqaunte, cher.

Reply to
Swingman

[...]

something. ;^)

What a shame, Swingy, that your color blindness prevents you from enjoying something as natural as those special shrooms, or Tiny Dr. Tim's favorite medicine...

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

something. ;^)

Au contraire, mon ami ... that was the only time I was not colorblind! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

something. ;^)

Sacre bleu! (It was blue then.)

-- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. -- Vernon Sanders Law

Reply to
Larry Jaques

and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

Well done as usual. What color you gonna paint it?

RP

Reply to
RP

and it is already sold and I need to deliver it soon so I took pictures today.

It's too bad he dropped it 3 times, too. A li'l bondo and paint and it'll be good as new, wot?

-- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. -- Vernon Sanders Law

Reply to
Larry Jaques

: > Here are two pics of a recently finished project > > > >

I do have two others I darkened with dichromium phosphate (drano/lye).

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com