Stickley - Greener Than Greene & Greene

Being one who is unable to pass up free wood, I finally got around to cutting up maybe 25 raised panel cabinet doors to salvage the useable wood. Now I've got a bunch of oak, mahogany and maple which, once the profiles on the edges are ripped off, will be 1 1/4" wide - in assorted lengths.

As if it was necessary to justify keeping them I wondered what I could do with them. Stickley immediately came to mind. "No wonder he used all those slats - he couldn't throw away scraps either. Skilled labor was cheap - in the USA - back then and I can imagine the businessman's part of his brain thinking "I can use this stuff AND improve my Bottom Line. Slats instead of panels are almost as strong - and this could be a nice way to create a Product Differentiation "feature". A few sketches, a few scaled drawings, some ROI calcs and Behold - The Stickley Style!

It's unfortunate that the environmental movement wasn't around then and Green wasn't something you could use in your marketing campaign.

Stickley Furniture - made from the finest sustainable eco-friendly hardwoods, designed to be both pleasing to the eye, nice to the touch, created with Old World Craftsmanship AND the least wasteful of Mother Nature's Bounty.

Stickley. We're Greener Than Greene & Greene Because we care about our planet. [accoustic guitar music playing new born sleeping peacefully in a Stickely Baby Crib (tm)]

- fade to black as the last guitar note resonates towards silence

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

I live not far from the Stickley factory in central NY, and they do actually have TV commercials on the local networks. No babies in cribs yet, but both spots I've seen do have a cute little toddler in a house full of very nice furniture, and nice slow pans across the quartersawn figure of various pieces, with nice acoustic music in the background. They don't say in the ad how much they care about the planet, but other than that, your description is pretty close. Andy

Reply to
Andy