Stickley Chest of Drawers! (Done)

Page 2 of 2

I have a wife who notices. She was manager of a large department store where they had a furniture department and she became a "stickler" for detail. She wants to know why I can't do "that". <G> Nice work.
Max
Wow, very nice. I used similar design, dovetails and hardware for my dresser, which I made out of QS oak and cedar drawer sides and backs.
http://www.mike-land.com/Woodworking/Mission_Dresser/mission_dresser.html
My problem is it's built and stained, but not lacquered. I moved just as I was getting ready to finish it and now I have to get my new workshop up to speed.
What technique did you use to get such a great finish? I'd like mine to turn out just like yours.
Mike Brown

Thank you!

I sanded to 220 and applied several coats (5) of wipe-on Minwax Tung Oil Finish. The can states to wait 24hr between coats, but I found that I could get away with 2 hours. I wipe on VERY thin coats.
I buff VERY lightly with 0000 steel wool in between coats. For the top after 24 hrs, I wet-dry sanded with 320 grit sand paper VERY lightly, then applied the last coat.

I forgot to mention one detail. The dresser was a little too glossy for my taste (ok, my wife thought it was too glossy) after the 5th coat so I rubbed it out (with the exception of the top) with 0000 steel wool after a couple of days of curing.
Thanks to everyone that commented on my project! :)
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

I think it looks great! Very clean inset drawers, perfectly aligned in the frame, nice looking dovetails.
Frank

Very Nice work. Very nice.
Harvey Ellis Dresser in walnut! My first drawers with