Stickley Chest of Drawers! (Done)

Page 1 of 2
Please let me know what you think.
My rendition of a Harvey Ellis Dresser in walnut! My first drawers with dovetails.
Thank you
(scroll down to the bottom) http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser_Project.htm
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

That is a nice looking piece you built. Thanks for posting it.

I love that walnut in this piece. It looks good. It has a richness not found in most furniture.
What are the drawers made of? The contrasting dovetails are an eye catcher.

Thank you

The drawer sides are made from maple. Fronts are walnut.

Very well done ... a beautifully executed design! Your attention to detail really shows throughout the piece.
It's amazing how proud they are of that hardware, eh? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Very nice! Good job on grain matching.

I agree with the grain match comment. The top drawers especially looks really great split over the divider. Did you subtract the width of the divider and the gaps from the original piece or just split it? I'v agonized over this a few times but usually just forget to orient them correctly by the time I place them anyway and get lucky about 50% of the time they are correct.

I didn't subtract the width of the divider, but I may have cut off a smidge off of each end.
It is difficult to tell, but I actually had to split the drawer fronts in half in order to be able to face joint on my 6" jointer. I wanted to keep the glue line in the center. So after the glue up, I had to trim a little off of each end in order to get a straight edge. I am a little suprised that the grain match worked out as well as it did. I think I got a little lucky!

Oh, forgot to say thanks!
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

The piece is gorgeous. Put me in the "me too" group as one who not only admires the workmanship, but the grain matching that makes this piece really stand out.
Robert

Thank you. I wonder if it takes a woodworkers eye to appreciate the grain matching? I wonder if most non-woodworkers would even notice; not that it matters. :)
Thanks again to everyone!
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

GarageWoodworks wrote:

It is, indeed, a well-done piece (as in "nicely done", not "overdone" :) ...)
On the "eye" -- it doesn't take a woodworker to notice, but it does take someone with a level of sensitivity to the artistic side of an object. Some have it, some (many, unfortunately) don't. It's one of the reasons it's so tough in general to make a living as a fulltime woodworker against the abominable store-bought stuff--not enough people really do appreciate the art of the matter and consider only the cost and (perhaps) the barest bones functionality.
imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ...
dpb wrote:

People who have seen enough really good stuff or quality antiques often will be drawn to a well designed item. Some of them may not know WHY the item is attractive, just that it is clearly a cut above.
B A R R Y wrote:

Surely. My point is I think it is an inate quality/characteristic -- folks generally either have it, or don't. Like other traits, it can be enhanced, nurtured, etc., but those completely lacking "the gene" just never do "get it".
Those who do, as you mention, even if they've never had training are just drawn to quality, usually in whatever area it might be.

A very similar quality exists in photographers. There are those who can "frame" a shot just right and create an "image" and then there are those who (like me) who just take pictures. :-(
Max
"Max" wrote in message

Musicians are no exception ... while most can cultivate some musical ability, it's generally more satisfying for everyone concerned to begin with some degree of raw talent. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Swingman wrote:

Oh, yes...I had in my original post but decided it was too wordy that one can practice forever but w/o some basic talent, another Jascha Heifetz ain't likely...having had probably fifteen years of enforced "training" and still unable to do more than plunk out a tune or saw away little, I'm sadly aware of the limitations of "no musical talent"... :(
"dpb" wrote in message

Know the feeling ... been playing professionally for 40+ years and have the same problem. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

The project is super nice. I love Stickley, and am working up to that sort of thing. One thing, the drawer sides and bottom could be finished darker to match, and that's a minor quibble on a such looking well made nice dresser
You have a massive joiner! nice. Make some cabinets or shelves out of MDF and you can clear off that workbench - shelves under the bench would help too.... but wait. I have cabinets over my bench and I can hardly find a spot to set a beer down....LOL
I'd be interested to see how the side panels sit in the grooves - are they just cut thin on the back side and then slide into grooves? Do you have plans for this? Wife would love this project, but I'd have to use oak.

Thank you!

I think the lighter maple sides make the dovetails pop. Not sure I would be interested in darker drawer sides.

The panels are 1/4" walnut ply and sit in 1/4" grooves.

I have a sketch of the dresser on my web site with measurements.
www.garagewoodworks.com