Stickers,skids, sleepers, cribbing, spacers, etc...

So I always thought that skids were the 4x4x~40" chunks of wood that were used to keep piles of wood off the floor so a forklift could get under and between stacks. Is this right? At work everyone calls them stickers, but they also call the little 1/2x1x36" things that we put between layers of wood for the kiln "stickers" too. And what are sleepers? Cribbing? I see on the web that "pipe cribbing" is something else. Anyone know, definitively, what the appropriate names are? JP
PS - the reason I ask is bc I want to get a whole bunch of "skids" that are uniformly sized (so our piles don't keep falling over) and painted bright green or something so you always know what's a skid and where one is. I'm trying to get across the "time is money" argument at work. Still.

I'm sure the terminology varies quite a bit from place to place, but here's my understanding.
A skid is another name for a pallet.
A sticker is the thin piece of wood that separates boards that are stacked to allow the boards to breathe and dry naturally, and help prevent rot.
A sleeper is a board laid on a concrete slab that a subfloor or wood strip flooring is attached to.
Cribbing is stacked, alternating, perpendicular larger-section pieces of wood (think railroad tie) used as temporary support when jacking up a building or heavy load.
Spacers are the people that believe we are involved in an interstellar war and they are the only ones that know about it. DAMHIKT
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:29:40 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique

Google is your friend. Type in "define: sleeper", etc.

Spray paint is your friend. Tubafores: Cut to length, screw or nail a pair/trio together for height, spray ends green. Roberta's yer auntie.
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck
On 2/19/2011 9:29 PM, Jay Pique wrote:

"Skids", in at least some parts of the UK, are what we in the US call dumpsters. Around here stickers are found between layers of stacked wood, to crib is stack interlockingly (or a bad habit of horses), sleepers are found under railroad rails, screeds are found under wooden flooring placed on top of a concrete slab ... and all bets are off on all the above, depending upon where you're from.
As whatshisname said, we are (geographically) divided by a common language.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Indeed. Screeds around here are wooden guide strips used to level a mortar/plaster/stucco surface. Sometimes removed, sometimes not, depending. In interior plaster if they're left in they're dandy for attaching the trim.