Stickers

Page 1 of 3
I was wondering if I could use acrylic for stickers for drying wood??? Also how thick is best for the stickers?? Thanks in advanced ................ Brian
Stickers, small uniform-sized boards, allow spaces for air to move across the lumber surfaces. They are used in stacks to separate the lumber so that air can move through the stack and to distribute the weight of the lumber vertically from top to bottom. They should be placed an equal distance across each layer of lumber and aligned on top of one another from the bottom of the stack to the top.
If the spaces between the lumber are not equal, air will flow more slowly through the larger spaces. Moisture on lumber surfaces at those locations will evaporate at a slower rate, and the lumber will dry more slowly. Stickers should be sufficiently more wide than thick so that they are not accidentally placed on edge between a layer of lumber.
There is no set sticker size, but the same size sticker should be used throughout a lumber stack. One inch by 3/4 inch or 1 1/4 inches by 1 inch are practical sizes for stickers.
Stickers should be placed as far apart as possible to ensure good air circulation. However, if stickers are placed too far apart, the lumber will not be supported well enough. Poor support while drying will cause the weight of the lumber in the upper layers to sag or otherwise distort the lumber near the bottom. Proper sticker distance is a function of the size (especially thickness) of the lumber. Generally, a sticker distance of about 24 to 36 inches should be sufficient for almost any size lumber. It is important that the stickers be placed at equal distances and straight across a layer and that each layer have a sticker at both ends for support. Proper sticker alignment allows air to circulate evenly across the surfaces of the lumber and allows a more uniform drying rate for each piece of lumber.
Commercial kiln operators need to consider a balance between more air flow across the lumber (thicker stickers) and more kiln capacity, that is, more layers (thinner stickers).
dave
Brian wrote:

Dave has actually given a fairly comprehensive reply, but I would add:
If your stickers are square there is no chance of them being 90 off. Always use stickers that are dry, not cut from the lumber you are going to dry. I doubt that anyone would use 36" spacing to dry 4/4 lumber. Most would use 18". Acrylic what? Anything dry and non-metallic should work fine. Coat the ends of the boards with a wax compound (as in AnchorSeal). Paint is only slightly better than nothing.
-Doug

Plexiglas is a brand name of "acrylic". I cut allot of it at work on the laser. I could use the drops to cut them out and use them at home for stickers....Brian
bole2cant wrote:

Make me wonder what book/site he copied that from. It sure doesn't sound very off the cuff to me.
On 06 Nov 2003, Silvan spake unto rec.woodworking:

It also uses capital letters and punctuation.
0.12 seconds of Googling provided this:
www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/for/for55/for55.htm
Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery.
Scott

Scott, you have too much time on your hands. :-)
On 06 Nov 2003, Doug Miller spake unto rec.woodworking:

    True, true... 0.12 seconds of my life, gone just like *that*. Wasted on BAD, no less. In my defense, I had just finished my third cup of coffee, and the time SEEMED to go by much more quickly than 0.12 seconds, but I know that is just a perceptual anomaly, the actual time wasted is 0.12 seconds, not one millisecond less.

    Wesley Clark in a thong would be only marginally better than Al Sharpton in a Speedo, but Carol Mosely Braun in anything less than a burkha is more than my imagine can deal with.
Scott Cramer responds:

Ah, I am really, really glad I swallowed just before I read that. This keyboard is so old one more cleaning might kill it.
Charlie Self
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas J. Watson
and here I thought I was doing the OP a favor by copying the pertinent passage so he wouldn't have to wade through a bunch of extraneous material! screw YOU, Cramer, and Silvan.
dave
Doug Miller wrote: snip

I guess posting a link would have been too much trouble, eh?
the link wasn't the detail. the quote was. posting the link is easy. plonking you is even easier! bye bye!
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Oh, please, Dave, say it isn't so! My life is no longer worth living! I can't go on! I think I'll just shoot myse
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:08:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Search String = "Bay Area Dave" "Moon Phase" "Plonk"

Hmmm... you may be on to something there.... maybe he hasn't gotten laid for a few days 'cause it's "that time"....
doug, you REALLY think that I think you'd be upset? I don't consider myself important enough to upset anyone by plonking them. your sarcasm only amuses your pathetically juvenile cohorts. yawn. go away...
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

No, and I didn't really think you'd really killfiled me, either.

Neither does anyone else, Dave. :-)
search dictionary for "Tom Watson"
results: agent provocateur
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Hey, cut me some slack!
I'm gluing up panels for RP doors and it's a boring day.
The only fun I'm having is checking in on this stupid thread once in a while.
I think you should start saying bad things about these guy's mommas.
Playing the dozens can really get a thread to take off and become truly, operatically entertaining.
Hell, can't get the soaps on TV out here in the shop.
Gotta do something!
:)
and I'm waiting for an outside sales rep to call me when he makes it into the S-W store so I can run over there for my first batch of sprayable finishes. Got anything good/bad to say about S-W finishes. esp their waterbornes? Let me know soon, as he's gonna call me any minute...(hows that for a segue back to WW?)
dave