STereo Cabinet Back Conclusion

I have decided to go with what everyone calls "hardboard." The cabinet itself is pine stained with a mild green. But its 18" deep and I think thats back far enough that the hardboard wont really be seen. Plus the stereo stuff will be in front of it.
I learn now that next time ill buy plywood from a respectable place and get a quality face instead of pine.
The back of the box is about 6" from the wall, so its pretty tight. Thats also why im going with hardboard. Easier to assemble I am betting.
Thanks for the advice.
--
Thank you,

I designed and built a cabinet. The back was a rectangle within a rectangle, for wires. I ran into a bit of a bummer. I had about $1000 worth of Monster cables plugged into the amp in the biggest slot, the bottom, and my inner rectangle ended up being just enough to tilt the amp to get to all the jacks. Would have gone differently if I had realizsed.
-
bent wrote:

bent,
Do you have any pics of this? I've been working on designing a stereo cabinet, too, and the problem you ran into is one I've been wondering about.
Thanks,
-jav

I ended up using something like <http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AR3100 for my Stereo Cabinet. Great ventilation and easy access to the rear of the components. Smoked-glass lockable front door. Pretty much full, too.
scott
not from the front, and filled.
In highschool I worked at a shop that did a lot of melamine (or wahtever its is calleed) covered pc, like at banks etc. I set my dimensions and they charged me 500. It was black, 100.00% covered. Top was a 29" Sony TV. Over top was a 1200 tape deck. The cab was 24" deep, about 5' high, 28" wide I guess. It looked great beside a pair of Altec Lansing black speakers! 2000, about 5' tall. Monoliths.
Anyway the back was only about 3" or 4" or 5" in from the sides. But the amp, about 7" or 8" high, had cable jacks right to the bottom. Mirrors, flashlights, shims, drag! Not to mention the fact that the gold Monster interconnects were so tight they could, and did, literally pull the jacks right off the back of the Japanese motherboard!
The bottom had a skirt to hide the rollers. You couldn't tell what was going on there from the front. From th eback, if I had Used the skirt as part of the rim it would have looked good, especially if designed to be the same dimension. The top obvoiusly had no skirt.
-
bent wrote:

I can't quite picture your situation. I intend to have 1 hole in the rear bottom area for air intake and some cables. Perhaps a rectangular slit, wide horizontally. And another slit near the top for heat to escape and wires to go through. When I hear 'Monster' though I just shudder.
--
Thank you,