Stereo Cabinet back, cardboard or wood?

I am closing up my stereo cabinet. I forgot to put the back on it up front, so I'll have to nail one on or use clamps. I am wondering if I should go ahead and use the 1/4" lowes plywood, sand and stain it, or if I should use that cardboardy stuff I see on the back of most entertainment centers?

The cabinet will be relatively dark and all slots will be mostly filled so I don't expect you can see the backing. Plus easier to but holes in the cardboard I suspect. its actually like a thin particle board with a nice finish. Hope you know what im talking about.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Sort of like Masonite? :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Use the cardboardy stuff.

Reply to
Dhakala

It's called hardboard. Shiny brown on one side; rough brown on the back side. Very easy to work with but has very little strength. Should be ok for your application though...

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

One reason for attaching backing to cabinets is to provide rigidity to the cabinet and preventing "racking." Using hardboard won't accomplish this whereas 1/4" plywood will.

Better yet, get some 1/4" luan plywood which is probably as cheap as the hardboard (or cheaper) and will do a better job. Home Depot & Lowes carry it.

~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

dnoyeB said

" I am wondering if I should go ahead and use the 1/4" lowes plywood, = sand and stain it, or if=20 I should use that cardboardy stuff I see on the back of most = entertainment centers?"

I'd suggest hardboard (the cardboardy stuff you refer to in original = posting).

Various options available ... the simple shiny one side, rough the other = ready for your coating, or white melamine on the smooth side, or, it's = often sold as the backing plate for hearth/fireplaces in various = patterns and colours, this can add style and variety to the internal = look of your piece of furniture.

Reply to
wheelzuk

Still haven't made up my mind that _you_ know what you're talking about! ;)

You can use just about anything for the back, really - except cardboard. Call a local plywood distributor and ask them in what colors they have 1/4" melamine. They'll probably have white, possibly almond and maybe black. Black is a good color as it makes all of the stuff in the back disappear, and there's no sealing necessary.

IKEA sells cabinets that have backs that aren't cardboard and not quite hardboard. Not sure where you'd get that stuff.

RicodJour

Reply to
Richard Clements

Yes, just a brand name that more or less has become generic. Need not be tempered though.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

However you decide to do it...

Unless the cabinet is going to be positioned such that the back is completely inaccessible, leave yourself a way to open the back to get at the wiring. It's much easier that way.

Reply to
Devon Miller

Not to mention ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. Modern HT gear generates a significant amount of heat, to which modern HT gear can be quite sensitive (e.g. Tivo and other PVR's, sat receivers, etc).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal