Step Drill

My wife bought me an early x-mas gift -- a set of 3 step drill bits. The problem is, I'm really not sure why I'd need them. I guess I don't fully understand their benefits. Can you fill me in??

TIA

-m

Reply to
Mike Pio

Step drills are good for drilling sheet metal, tubing, etc. where you need to go through successively larger drill bit sizes to get a hole of a given size. Basically it saves you from having to change the drill bit half a dozen times to get one hole drilled. As for wood working, I'm not sure what you'd use it for.

-AD

Reply to
Adam Diehl

If you are ever going to build steps you need them.

-j

For one think - wood screws.

_______ | | \ / \ / | | < Shank | | | | | | < Tapered Threads | | \ / \/

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Countersinking wood screws is the first thing that spring to mind. One diameter for the threaded portion of the screw, one for the unthreaded shank, and one for the head.

Doug Miller

I don't have any step drill bits, but I'd consider a set a nice gift. These speed up the process of drilling a tap hole, another size for the screw shank, and a countersink all with a single drilling. For projects that need lots of screws, all the better.

Reply to
Phisherman

Must be different than the step drills I'm used to. The one's I've used have steps that are much too shallow (maybe 1/8" - 3/16" per step) to be of any use for pre-drilling screw holes. I just use a combination drill bit/countersink for that sort of thing. Anyone have a link to a step drill specifically for wood screws?

-AD

Reply to
Adam Diehl

====================== I bet you can not find a HVAC installer who does not have a step bit in his tool "Bucket"... My son gave me one when I was doing the sheet metal work for my shop... worked like a charm...

Never even though of using it to drill holes in wood

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

"Mike Pio" wrote in news:WJpvd.2696$Sq.1751@fed1read01:

I have some Unibits, and they are wonderful for drilling holes in sheet metal. You can incrementally work up to the hole size you want, and they create a perfectly circular hole -- multi-flute bits create almost an oval hole.

No idea where they would be good for wood.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Yes, what Adam said. They give very clean holes, better than twist drills, in sheetmetal. Handy things to have, even if you don't use them often.

Reply to
CW

Drill bit like those supplied with the Kreg pocket hole jig are also referred to as step drill bits.

Nova

I always thought of them as gimmicky. Then the one time I halfway had a use for one I priced it out and found out they're not in the gimmick aisle. I did a workaround.

The Teutels on American Chopper (Brawl in the Family) use them a lot, so they must not be as gimmicky as I thought.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

If you're tired of twist drills grabbing thin sheet metal bits out of your hand, then you'll want to use a step drill. Cut nice round holes through thin metal like a hot skewer going through butter brickle ice cream.

Mmmmm. Butter brickle ice cream.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

They're handy for sheet metal work or other thin stock. I can't see much use for them in woodworking though.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Yeah, I thought the OP meant a Unibit-style step drill, but maybe he did mean a wood screw combo bit, or maybe even a step drill for making pocket holes?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman