steel wool # = sandpaper grit?

Is there any corrolation between the number rating of steel wool and a particular grit (or range) of sandpaper? Also, what does the grit of sandpaper actually mean? Is this the mesh number of the abrasive, or is it just another scale that was assigned? I probably could look the answer up on google, but the wreck is *much* more informative!
On 8/6/2005 11:17 AM US(ET), Dan Major took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

--
Bill

you got a reply with a link to more information, but there is plenty more out there. Fine Woodworking ran a decent in depth article in the last year or so that covered the three grit sizing systems pretty well. IIRC, one is japanese, one european and the other north american.
steel wool works differently than sandpaper, so there's not a direct correlation between the numbering systems other than that they indicate progressively finer products.
The finest papers, which are actually plastic film backed and prized by auto body finishers and others who work with incredibly fine paint jobs, are sold according to the micron scale which is the mesh of the abrasive. These papers aren't particularly useful for woodworking unless you were planning on making a wood car, but it is a cool piece of info. Also, these papers aren't exactly cheap.
| Is there any corrolation between the number rating of steel wool and a | particular grit (or range) of sandpaper? Also, what does the grit of | sandpaper actually mean? Is this the mesh number of the abrasive, or is it | just another scale that was assigned? I probably could look the answer up | on google, but the wreck is *much* more informative!
I cannot help with the steel wool comparison, but, here is a site that can tell you a bit about sandpaper codes:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/print/0,17071,352667,00.html
-- PDQ