Steel Toe Boots

Page 1 of 3
I've taken a job with a stair shop that mostly makes curved staircases and I'll be spending some time on their shop floor. They want anyone on the floor to wear steel toe shoes. I haven't had a pair of them in over twenty five years. Never cared for them, really. Thought they made your toes extra cold in the winter.
Anyways, I need to buy a pair and I'm clueless about who might be making the good ones these days. I've been wearing cross trainer sneaks for the last ten years or so in deference to my barky knees. They still bark so I need shoes that will help me out with that. The work is inside, so they don't need to be insulated boots, just something that will help me with my knee problem and address the steel toe safety issue.
If any of you guys have opinions on this I'd be happy to hear them.
tom
Tom Watson wrote:

Red Wing
http://www.redwingshoes.com/ProductResults.aspx?shoefinder=1&ProductType=&SubType=Steel%20Toe&Gender=Mens&Style and Rocky
http://www.rockyboots.com/Products/search.aspx?CatId 4&subCatId5&tag=1
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I work on concrete all day in Red Wings. Steel toes with smooth soles made for a shop floor. They're great boots with "good" support - but I'm definitely going to get myself some custom footbeds before long. (Right after the new router, slot mortiser, F45, etc...)
Seriously though - custom footbeds should really help you. I've always had them for ski boots and they're like night and day. I gotta figure it's the same for work boots.
Good luck with the new job!
JP

http://www.redwingshoes.com/ProductResults.aspx?shoefinder=1&ProductType&SubType=Steel%20Toe&Gender=Mens&Style I've been wearing something similar to 6633 for several years, made by Totectors in Northampton (UK), I've had about three pair. I find them very comfortable, never had a problem with cold feet, and they lasted around three or four years of continuous use.
Not as pricey though, I paid around 26 pounds (around $50) a pair.
Stuart
--
Stuart Winsor

I do like the steel toe because while not a pro, I do extensive jobs in several disciplines which often include heavy items and tools. I finally broke down and replaced my Timberland Pro (hiking boot style) with the Redwing 2226 for it's high ratings in comfort on concrete. Well, they're very nice boots, but they're bulky and I can actually feel a difference in leg fatigue from "carrying" them around all day.
I'm going back to the Timberlands. I'm a size 11 and the Timberland sole is almost a full inch shorter than the Redwing and considerably lighter. A classic case of fixing something that wasn't broke!
I recommend the Timberlands. They're also quite a bit cheaper but the quality seems fine.
Tom
Tom Watson wrote:

There are a number of companies making safety boots that use plastic or titanium instead of steel. Lighter and less chilly in winter. Some of them look like light hiking boots rather than big stompers.
As for helping with the knees, you might want to try a "real" shoe store, the kind that deals with orthopedic inserts and such. They may have some recommendations.
Chris
"Tom Watson" wrote

RedWing were always tops in my farrier youth (pull-on boot), but I suspect that has changed since my knees have somehow got a couple years older than I' am.

Sticking to recent personal experience:
The Rockler steel toe shoe, purchased about 1/2 size bigger and fitted with an orthotic "sof sol" insert, look identical to my "old man" Rockport "dress" shoes, and are as comfortable, which is real comfortable.
I can attest to that because I've worn them by accident and didn't know the difference (the older you get, the more it pays to look down before you leave the house in the morning to make sure your shoes match).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Heehehehe, that mismatch happened just the other day to this guy i know.. down the street,,, but i, ermm , I mean, HE noticed before he got in the van... And, yup, they were rockies too. Angela bought me 3 pair at Birch Run MI (Just nort of Flint) at a Rockport factory outlet. For a steel toed work boot, I have a couple of pair of Doc Martins. VERY comfortable and they last and last and are always in style. *S*. I wear steel toes with pleasure as I cannot imagine what would happen to my dance steps if I were to drop a 400 pound engineered stone island on my tootsies.
Sooo, TOM!!.. look into Doc Martins. Highly recommended. You'd never know you're wearing steel toes. I have orthotics in all my shoes. Those virtually cured my back pains.

Heehehehe, that mismatch happened just the other day to this guy i know.. down the street,,, but i, ermm , I mean, HE noticed before he got in the van... And, yup, they were rockies too. Angela bought me 3 pair at Birch Run MI (Just nort of Flint) at a Rockport factory outlet. For a steel toed work boot, I have a couple of pair of Doc Martins. VERY comfortable and they last and last and are always in style. *S*. I wear steel toes with pleasure as I cannot imagine what would happen to my dance steps if I were to drop a 400 pound engineered stone island on my tootsies.
--

tell me about it. i was recently cutting a chunk off a granite slab, and
just about the time i was wondering what would happen if there was an

I wear my flip flops all the time, and have gotten pretty good at the drop & hop manuever. Whenever I drop something, I immediately hop backwards. That's not to say I haven't been bitten a few times...
Just like your hands on a power tool, you have to think about what would happen to your feet if the tool/piece disappeared.
Puckdropper

In a business, your Workman's Comp insurance company would investigate.
On Sep 26, 9:45pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

my instinctive reaction is to lift my foot off of the ground. usually I react properly to the size/weight/fragility/value of the falling object and either get my foot the f**k out of the way, or get my foot under the object to cushion it's landing....
in a previous life I framed buildings with manufactured trusses. it's dangerous work, walking top plate assembling roofs that way. we were the only crew on a lot of jobs who were allowed sneakers. the idea was that if a rack of trusses landed on your foot in a steel toe boot the steel toe would cut your toes off, but in sneakers it would just crush them, and the value of soft soles with grabby tread was the overriding safety factor.
"Robatoy" wrote\

Thing is, every time I've tried Dr Martin's on I've this uncontrollable urge to spike my hair and wear black! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

I'd pay for a picture of that...LOL.

These are them Dr Martens at his best. Sooo comfywomfy, sooo easy on the knees.
http://www.dmusastore.com/p-2435-ironbridge.aspx

'cept mine are steel toed.
"Robatoy" wrote

Try a 1200 lb quarter horse using both his tootsies, and yours, to "Waltz Across Texas". I hated it when that happened ... there are way too damn many bones in two feet!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:25:02 -0700, Tom Watson wrote:

Tom, I've got a pair of Red Wing boots that I'm happy with. Comfortable, not too heavy, they last forever, and I haven't personally noted any cold toes in the winter. But I wear insulated socks in the winter.
I've also got a pair of steel toe motorcycle boots, but "these boots are NOT made for walking." With or without the steel toes :-).