steel city table saw on the way!

Page 1 of 2
SO....I have a new Steel City table saw on order and should be delivered soon. This will be my first cabinet saw and my current contractor saw is literally older than I am...and I am not young by any means.
Anyway, it's one of the granite top ones...has anyone out there got one and if so, any tips or tricks to setting it up?
I have indicators and straight edges and feeler gages out the ying-yang...I'm a toolmaker by trade.
It'll be going in a basement on a Steel City mobile base. It's not going mobile because I want it to, but because I have a VERY small shop. 10.5 X 26 and there are lots of other toys...errrr....much needed machinery down there.
Thanks
Mike
Congratulations! I'm envious but can't offer any help.
Ralph

Mike wrote:

<snip>
Congratulations!
Bill
On Monday, March 12, 2012 7:05:08 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:

Nice buy. Just check\adjust the blade to the miter track and try to get it down below 2 thou alignment front to back. Then set the fence to the same miter track. Then let er rip... pun intended.

So, you gonna buy us all some cigars?
Congrats.

Be careful removing the miter gauge from the T slot - you can crack the granite very easily. Also, that fricker is damn heavy...
Finally, if you want to father any more kids, keep your "boys" away from the top. Saw an article about granite from China being radioactive... NOT kidding...
I have one, and every time I rip a board and lean up against the saw I think to myself: I am treating my prostate prophylactically ;)
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0621305430354.html
Anyhoo... enjoy yours, I *love* mine.
Sconnie

I got in the habit of pushing the miter gauge and tennon jig off the back of the saw and onto the outfeed table when I remove them and vice versa. This so I don't bugger things up and have good control over them. This technique might be especially useful with the granite top.

Sure sounds like competitive product marketing at work... that or if we are to believe some groups, Obama. ;~)

Competitive product marketing is mentioned here but they left out Obama! ;~)
John

http://solidsurfacealliance.org/G-radioactivity-radon-issues.html

Kind of supports my contention that "fear appeal marketing" by competitive products is at play... i.e., your reference from solidsurfacealliance.org. ;~)
The a priori (and a posteriori) solution to this, and myriad other home sourced illnesses, is active air turnover. The tight homes of today need fresh air intakes... Closed up basements full of ground sourced radon are a big problem in some areas. Having a negative-pressure radon management system is demanded in some cases whereas in others the draw from dryers and flame heated appliances (furnaces, boilers, hot water heaters) sucks enough air out of the basement, while drawing in air through gaps (basement windows, sill plates, cracked mortar joints, garage doors, etc.) to keep the levels down. Bath and kitchen power ventilation helps as outside air is pulled into the house via gaps.
If the air replacement is great enough, radiation, allergen and antigen levels don't build up to the point where they present health problem greater than background levels. As such, fresh air intakes with air-to-air heat exchangers are well worth considering in tight homes... that and getting rid of the dogs, cats, gerbils, smokers, bad cooking, carpets, man-made wood products, plastics, polyester fiber fill, woodshops, and other things that out gas and pollute interior air. ;~)
John
On Mar 14, 3:27pm, "John Grossbohlin"

You had me at gerbils.
On 3/14/2012 9:01 AM, SconnieRoadie wrote:

All granite is radioactive.
On 3/14/12 12:06 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v973tfsllqw

--

-MIKE-

On 3/14/2012 12:47 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Great song. :-)

--------------------- Sinatra it isn't.
Lew
On 3/14/2012 10:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thank goodness.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 3/14/2012 10:52 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, lead vocal could play an instrument.
On 3/14/2012 9:03 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

No, THIS is a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
VCwBzGdPM
On 3/15/2012 2:24 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

No, *THIS* is a great song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
-o_kLONVI&feature=related
--
Jack

"Joy" by Apollo 100:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NBsJa-H978

Scratch that post. The "Joy" instrumental was on the ad, preceeding the Radioactive song. I wasn't paying attention.