Steel City Model 35601

SWMBO sez that I can get a "decent" Table saw. Must be the season or something. :)Anyway I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any experience with this model? Purchased, seen in use, etc. Any help, advise will be appreciated.
A. Ryall

No Sweat wrote:
> SWMBO sez that I can get a "decent" Table saw.
Concentrate on the fence and the saw will take care of itself.
Lew
"I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from

I recently purchased the 3HP version of the Steel City saw. The 1.75HP version was $899 and the 3 HP model was $999. Both are good values. The saw is basically the ORION saw sold by Sears under their name but with a powder painted base and a fence that resembles the Grizzly Shop Fox model. Steel City is a really honest outfit to deal with. When these saws had quality control issues with extension table alignment they replaced them immediately through their dealers (mine was perfect when it arrived). However my saw had a slightly warped fence (which I later found out to be a reversal of the fence faces when installed by manufacturer). I made one 15 minute call to Steel City customer support and had a replacement fence in less than 5 days. The saw is shipped in a welded steel cage bolted to the pallet and arrived in perfect condition. The fit and finish of the saw is very good and, after using a Sears contractor saw for many years, it's nice to have a saw with a 3HP motor. The saw passes the nickel test easily. I am happy I chose the Steel City version of this saw. You are fortunate to have so many good choices at this time. The Grizzly cabinet saw, the Delta, Jet, & DeWalt Hybrids and of course the Sears will all make lots of sawdust for you.
| | "I am looking pretty seriously at the 10" saw from | > Steel City. It seems to be the smallest model they have and I think | > that it would suite me just fine for my needs. Has anyone any | > experience with this model?" | | I recently purchased the 3HP version of the Steel City saw. ...
Thanks rmeyer I appreciate the info. Going wait a couple of days to see if any one else has anything to add, then probable go for it. A. Ryall
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The term is new to me. What is "the nickel test"?
Bill

the nickel doesn't fall down, the saw passes the nickel test. My old Craftsman would throw the nickel down to the floor. Jim
Half a dime test. :)

The Popular Woodworking E-Newsletter, dated October 16, 2006 had an in depth review of the arrival, uncrating, assembly and use of the very saw. The E-Newsletter has a link for a online blog for the continuing learning curve on this machine.
No Sweat wrote:

Sorry, forgot to post the url for Popular Woodworking's Blog site and the direct reference to the Steel City Model 35601 saw.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/blog/CommentView,guid,5e3409a9-a3a8-4701-a5f0-eeaeed9851a6.aspx