Steel City Drill Press. I like it.

I've had this DP for about six months. Used it several times but until this project I hadn't really put it through its paces.

It's this cradle:

headboards require 13 holes in each of four pieces at precise angles. I've done that sort of thing with other drill presses but I was pleasantly surprised how fast it was with this machine. Because it has a spindle lock, I was able to lock it down and eyeball the angle while I used both hands to tilt the table. Because it has a six-inch quill travel, I was able to go from top piece to bottom piece without changing the table height. Because the depth stop had a quick-release and fine tuning I was able to quickly reset the stops for each set of holes from piece to piece. I know those things can be found on other DP's but until this weekend, I didn't think I'd appreciate all those as much as I do now that I've used 'em and seen what it means to time saved and aggravation missed.

One way I measure a tool is whether I ever step back and grin at it just because it's fun to use and this Saturday, I patted myself on the back. I like this drill. :-)

Oh, and no it doesn't have a laser on it.

Reply to
else24

Be sure to post pictures of the cradle when done. I can see where a good drill press makes life easier with the way the ends are on that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Speaking of drill "press" machines... You got me thinking... And I remembered this post from another forum so... Take a look at this metal forming press operation. How many of YOU would work in conditions like this:

Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

carpal tunnel is a workplace hazard - I wonder how many limbs they lose per year? And to the OP, I'm glad you're happy with your DP, and thanks for the review - if my old Atlas ever dies (yeah, right) the Steel City would definitely be a consideration as a replacement. Mine has something like 4.75" quill travel, and I've appreciated that several times! I can't believe most of the low- and mid-priced modern ones only have 3 inches or so of travel. Six would be great. Enjoy! Andy

Reply to
Andy

But then they would not be low and mid priced any more. You have to pay for those extra inches. I'd pay for an extra 3 inches.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

carpal tunnel is a workplace hazard - I wonder how many limbs they lose per year? And to the OP, I'm glad you're happy with your DP - if my old Atlas ever dies (yeah, right) the Steel City would definitely be a consideration as a replacement. Mine has something like 4.75" quill travel, and I've appreciated that several times! I can't believe most of the low- and mid-priced modern ones only have 3 inches or so of travel. Six would be great. Enjoy! Andy

Reply to
Andy

De Ja Vuuuuuuu!

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Joe AutoDrill

I get emails every day asking me to pay for an extra 3 inches...

Reply to
Larry W

On Mon 21 May 2007 10:19:54p, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:ujt4i.21587$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

I just posted a photo to abpw with subject "Dryfit cradle".

I've been a little busy of late. I was told things were going to happen a little early. Now it's back to July 2, but I was in panic mode and it's done as it's going to get and I'll deliver it next weekend.

I didn't mention that this is my second one. I promised one to my niece and before it was finished my daughter announced. Yeesh. Building the first with a Harbor Freight benchtop dp was the reason I dug up the resources for the Steel City. :-) And it was worth every penny. Even used the quill lock before I was done.

But if I never build another one of these things I won't lose much sleep. Good plans and good looking piece, just an awful lot of work and I want to do something else for a while. Future grandchildren will use THAT one.

Reply to
Dan

Picture looks great. I built a lot of cradles when still in the service. Even though I was an old man still flying because of a late start, the rest of the squadron was of prime breeding age. Granddaughter's sleeping in the crib I built, because she did her cradle time in her mom's. Twenty-five years makes cherry look really rich!

I have a Steel City myself. Concession to age more than need, as my old Craftsman had no table crank, and my back isn't what it used to be. I like their combination of features, and the price was right. As good as the old Craftsman, no, but as good as any other out there that I could see.

Reply to
George