Steel City Air Scrubber

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a unit to clean the air in the shop, in addition to my Dust Collector. Since Steel City has a nice unit on sale, I decided to go for it.

When the unit arrived all looked good. Unpacked the unit and read the instructions. Removed the packing foam and started to install the hanging eye bolts. Someone had gotten a little carried away in putting the screws into the eye bolt holes (why screws you have to remove to install the eye bolt? Probably to seal the unit if you do not used the bolts.) One of the fittings came lose in the unit, but the eye bolt would still install and snug down with the locking nut (pinch fashion). The instructions said to mount it at least seven feet above the floor and since it weights about 55 pounds, I hooked up the coffin hoist and attached it to the eyebolts. The mountings for two of the four eye bolts bent in the sheet metal, but did not come out. But while I had it hanging, and before I got it in the final location, I hit the power button. The squirrel cage was jammed against the housing. I checked the motor mount and it had been hit hard enough to bend it, though the box did not show any impact damage. I gently straightened the motor mount and hit the switch. The squirrel cage spun free but had a rather severe vibration.

At this point, I called the folks I bought it from and (this is the good part of the story) got a treatment you would not believe.

Woodworker's Supply not only changed out the unit but sent a pick up via UPS and will send the replacement unit as soon as it is in stock, probably tomorrow.

Bottom line, the unit is probably good, but very fragile (case is made of much too thin a gauge metal). DO NOT hoist it by the eye bolts. As far as mounting it by them once you get it lifted up to the mounting point, don't know, haven't gotten that far. I do know that when the replacement arrives, I will bench test it and IF it passes I will gently lift it into position and let it sit on a couple of 1x6's. The eye bolts will stay in the bag.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

"Dr. Deb" wrote

I have had similar experiences. An alternative mounting method is to use vinyl coverd cable or nylon straps. I have done both.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Dr. Deb" wrote

Interesting and topical ... I got a Wilton for Christmas that has been sitting on the shop bench since. The instructions sound eerily identical (probably made in the same factory). My plan was to install it tomorrow, which is really the first opportunity since I've been more out of town, than in, lately.

I'll be taking your experience into account while doing so.

Thanks ...

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
marc rosen

I've had the Grizzly unit for 8 or so years. I'm re-mounting it soon. Previously it hung on chains and there was some vibration transmission. Did you notice a difference in vibration transmission between the straps and the cable? I don't have much vibration but if using straps will deaden it further that may be the way to go.

hex

-30-

Reply to
featherlightshavings

How about plastic wrapped steel cable?

Reply to
Upscale

wrote

I've had the Grizzly unit for 8 or so years. I'm re-mounting it soon. Previously it hung on chains and there was some vibration transmission. Did you notice a difference in vibration transmission between the straps and the cable? I don't have much vibration but if using straps will deaden it further that may be the way to go. =================================

I haven't really tested one hanging method over another in terms of vibration. Perhaps a spring installed on the chain/cable?

I was speaking in terms of installing many things with the cable/straps. I have a cable cutter, swaging tool, cable and swages. Soooooo......, that is what I use and is an easy solution for me.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have three in my shop and they are all hanging from dog chain and eye hooks. Delta 50-860's and that's the way they recommended hanging them.

Since Steel City is a bunch of ex-Delta folks, I would expect a VERY similar product. If they are bending that easy, I would consider a different product.

?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1234210163&sr=1-4One thing I noticed in all those descriptions.... Some of them are called "bench top" air cleaners...

Is that Steel City a "bench top" per chance ?

I notice Woodworkers is also no l>

Snipped the bad part.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Just a follow up ... the Wilton installation went just fine. This particular unit is made of heavy gauge metal and, the eye bolt to body, the opposite of fragile, worked fine. The only problem I had was solved with an extra hand to steady it while adjusting the height from the floor, SWMBO being well trained in these exercises.

Reply to
Swingman