steel

The beam sat in pockets in the wall. The load of the beam (and what it carried) was supported by 5 2x6's ganged together to form a post. The floor structure simply sat on top of the beam. The 2x8 floor joists had an overlap and were nailed together over the beam. A couple of holes should be drilled through the top plate of the beam so that a lag screw can be inserted to lock the beam to the floor structure.
My beam weighed in at about 600 lbs whickhwas not really as much as I expected. It turned out that I had to make adjustments in its placement. With a little creativity and leverage, it was not all that hard to manipulate.