Steaming/Bending Wood

I've seen diagrams for steaming wood involving a PCP pipe and a steam source.
My question: if you don't need to bend a long piece of wood, why not place the wood over the rims of a large pot of steaming water for a while, perhaps with aluminum foil over it to keep the steam in?
Thanks,
E.
Emiziah wrote:

might work. give it a try.
generally a piece of pipe is used, because it's cheap and easy and the wood needs to be thoroughly penetrated by the steam.
Emiziah wrote:

Why over a large pot of boiling water? wouldn't a wallpaper stripper steamer suffice?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

That will work. A fish cooker will work too. I use a long metal pipe, a tea pot, a Fisher burner, form and leather gloves.