Steam bending redwood

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood?? I have been asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick. The wood has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried. Steaming might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with redwood. Thanks, Mark

The only redwood I steam bent was also laminated from 3/16" pieces. Belt and suspenders time as I was under the gun and the end units had some pretty tight radii. The stuff bent fine and with a 3' radius you shouldn't have any problem.

Redwood is notorious for splintering. You may need to use both lamination and steam. Expect 3-4% springback.

Or constrain the wood on both sides to eliminate the splintering. http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/articles/timberbending.html
"Mark Haveman" wrote:

I don't.

Personally since you have a 3' radius and only 3/4" thickness is required, I'd probably laminate three (3), 1/4" thick pieces in one pass using laminating epoxy with a slow hardner to get 25-30 minutes of open time.
If you try to steam it, you will be under the gun the whole time.
Epoxy gives you some breathing room.
Have fun.
Lew