Stationary blade power planer

Sanding the milling marks off the faces of some boards reminded me of a planing machine I saw many years ago at a WW show. It looked a lot like a portable power planer and sat directly on the floor. It had one stationary planing blade and it quickly power fed the stock (sort of shooting it) under the blade, shaving off an impressive, full lenght/width shaving. It left an excellent surface. The demonstrator was shaving a long 4x4 post of some exotic looking purple/pink wood that was pretty impressive as well. Anyone know what the machine was called and is it available anywhere? SL
Makita used to sell one.
--
Rumpty

I saw one demonstrated perhaps 20 years ago. It was made by Hitachi. (For the picky, marketed under that brand name is more accurate) Haven't seen one since.
Dave

Yep, them and Makita. Visitors to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn can tell you about a similar, apprentice-powered surfacer on display there. Blade was skewed about 20 degrees on the wooden one. Believe the powered jobs had variable skew.
Didn't catch on, I guess.

I saw those in some FWW publications. I think it's called a super surfacer. In addition to that machine, I think you needed another one to sharpen the knife.