Startrite 352 bandsaw

I am thinking about buying a used Startrite 352 mainly for cutting woodturning blanks. Can anyone advise on the suitability of this machine for this or point me towards anywhere that I can get information about it? When were they last made? Any advice will be gratefully received. TIA. Peter

Reply to
Peter Holt

16" wheels. Good saw, well built. Ferociously over-priced new, the only people who bought them were schools. Startrite made a speciality of them and offered machines direct from the factory with all of the extra yellow-painted guards and kick-switches that schools demanded.

If you can get it at a good price, then it's a fine saw. Parts availability is good and will remain so for the forseeable. Any S/H machinery dealer will know it, and where to obtain bits - or Startrite themselves. They still make this saw, but it changes colour every so often and now it's called the 352SB.

The blade guides are .crude and well obsolete by the standards of other saws for the last 10 years. It deserves an upgrade here. The modern Startrite guides are better and fit easily, but IMHO you can do better with other designs.

It's probably wired for 3 phase, so you might ned to budget a conversion.

Reply to
Andy Dingley