starting up a furnituremaking business

Hi,
I've recently had to relocate and need to change my career. I'm contemplating starting a furniture making business.
I'm curious to know what people's experiences have been. How they started up? If people went from being hobbyist to professionals? How people went about building a client base? Etc.
Thanks
Phil