Starting Over...What Would You Buy?

Page 3 of 3

Snip
Exactly!
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Torch, welder and grinder.
John

I did an interstate move and had to build a new house when I arrived, starting off in a tent with hand tools and a borrowed gen set. So....
Hand tools & hand power tools, minimum of a good 1/2" drill and a cheap 71/2" circ saw. A hand power planer is very useful, I got a Makita which could do rebates over 12mm. I could then make all my own door jambs etc from solid rough sawn stock.
Move up to a sliding compound mitre saw; I have a 12" DeWalt and love it. A table saw is nice too but more for detail work unless you're going to be ripping long lengths of timber. An air compressor and nail gun. Saves time and you can hold something and nail it without needing a 3rd hand.
You've now built the shop/house/whatever. All this stuff can run off a moderately sized gen set.
To get into metal, a good 5" angle grinder and a cheap 4 1/2" angle grinder. Yeah, you can get by with one grinder but it's a PITA to swap from cutting disks to grinding disks 20 times/day to save $20. A stick welder capable of running 1/8" 6011 rods, you can now weld anything you need to weld in steel.
After that it depends on what you're into. Personally, I shipped my Colchester lathe, 30 x 8 H/V mill and big vertical bandsaw first.
Building the house, I used the table saw and a 12" thickness planer quite a lot, but they're second order important for construction carpentry. They came into their own, along with the bandsaw and a router, for fitting the place out.
PDW