Starting Over...What Would You Buy?

Page 2 of 3

Exactly. And I see nothing wrong with going over a scenario that involves starting over for whatever the reason. Flood, divorce, job loss, fore. burglary, etc. While it is important to get family things in order, at some point tools will be a consideration. The rest of us can help by donating time, money, materials, whatever, to the Katrina victims but we still have to move ahead with our lives. IMO, this is not much more than asking "what do you want for dinner tomorrow?"

I think what struck me wrong is that most of the people that have lost everything, those that probably have no insurance most likely did not have the luxury of owning expensive tools. With that in mind, they would probably wish that they had the luxury of worrying about their water soaked tools instead of where their family is and where their next meal may come from. I don't condemn the nature of the thread as much as the timing. I seriously doubt that many NO survivors would have much sympathy for some one that only had to worry about damaged tools at this point. In you only have water soaked tools be thankful.
"they are, you know, underprivileged anyway, so this...this is working out very well for them" - Barbara Bush

in
victims
have
only

I would deffinitely start with a Bridgeport mill with CNC capability and a fourth axis. Well tooled, of course. With this one machine I could do 90% of whatever work I need done in my business of developing tools, machines and products for clients and my own crazy ideas. The remaining 10% would be a good convertible horizontal/vertical 1/8" bandsaw as close to a wire edm as possible, and enough hand tools to drive my wife crazy.
Wayne
<snip>

I agree with Leon's comments, as usual.
I also believe that, were I to restock my shop, there would be maybe two-thirds fewer tools than now reside there.
Why? I'd make fewer buying mistakes. (There would be, for example, no Shopsmith.)
I have a better understanding of what I enjoy doing.
The economics of 'make vs. buy' are more meaningful now, and I now know many more craftspersons, whose work I would trust.
I'd take my friends up on their offer of loaning a tool, or having them come over to help more.
As we get older, some of us seek to lighten the load, live a simpler life, and not try to solve every problem with a new tool.
I realize that life will still be pretty much the same, even if I never am the proud owner of a vintage Stanley Model 45.
But most of all, a shop is just filled with stuff that enables creativity and productivity. It was empty when I bought the place 7 or 8 years ago. If I died tomorrow, there would be one heck of a garage sale, but that's about all that would matter, regards the stuff.
It's only a small part of life.
Patriarch
I tend to buy the small version of a machine, then later on realize I need something larger, then buy the medium size version, then realize I still need larger, and so on. If I had to do it again, I would buy big and be done with it.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy imported machinery. I wouldn't buy a single Craftsman product (manual, electric or pneumatic). I would have far fewer cordless tools.
I'd buy another TA-185 tig welder, but would skip the stick and mig.
I'd buy a good 1/2" 6 point socket set. I'd skip the 12 point crap, as well as the 1/4" and 3/8" stuff.
I'd skip the radial arm saw.
I'd skip the Maglites, lanterns, halogen lights and trouble lights. I'd get another Luxeon headlight.
I would still buy a zillion router bits.
I wouldn't join and plane fine wood, then laminate them into a workbench. I'd screw some plywood together and be done with it.
I would buy TWO of the best jack stands I could find, but no more than two.
I'd skip that spring loaded air hose spool like the one at the service center.
I wouldn't even think about buying a creeper.
I'd buy a gigantic 3 phase air compressor, probably an Eaton.

I know the feeling. I need a lawn tractor. Looking at a D9.

Nice tractor. Accessories are expensive though.
CW wrote:

That's my kind of lawn tractor! It's good advice too. Big stuff is often cheaper, better built and more capable. If you've got space, go for it.
Chris
Sun, Sep 11, 2005, 9:20am (EDT-3) From: too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) for some reason wonders: <snip> Now if you were in the situation to HAVE to start over to rebuild your shop...what would you buy, where and why? <snip>
I just posted an inspiration, and came across this.
In the instance of living in an area hit by a hurricaint, a ticket. At the closest bus, or train, station. To get far away from the coast, so it wouldn't happen to me again. Once the subject of surviving was out of the way that is, anything else would be of lesser importance. Sheesh.
JOAT I don't believe in reincarnation. I used to, but that was in another life.

Hurricanes on east cost, tornados south midwest, earthquakes west cost. Farther north, freeze your butt off in sub-zero weather a number of months of the year, ice storms, flooding in the mid western provinces or states, forest fires in the mountain regions, mud slides, avalanches. There's only one place to go to be safe from it all and that means you're dead.
Here in the midwest, I don't know anyone that has lost property due to a natural disaster, but I know two people who lost their shops due to fires. Shit happens. That's why I have insurance and am not emotionally attached to my stuff.
wrote in message

Was it not in the Midwest several years ago when the massive flooding took place and whole towns were swallowed up by the rivers that were miles out of their banks.
Insurance for single incidents is great. Insurance in a situation such as NO is of little comfort,
I live in Syracuse, NY, and I'll take any amount of snow and cold over hurricanes - I really don't think there's any comparison. Snow is can be an inconvenience, but unless you choose to drive in it with poor tires, or sit out in it with poor clothing, it is not nearly the life-threatening disaster of a hurricane. When was the last time you heard of thousands (or even tens) of people dying in a snowstorm? A big ice storm might make a little dent in the economy if it takes down lots of trees and power lines, but that's still nothing compared to the hundreds of billions of dollars that's on the line for the gulf coast. Anyway, this is somewhat off the topic of this thread. What I'd replace - bandsaw, router, drill press (even though I don't have one quite yet), chisels, a quality combination square, and of course a Knight smoother. Maybe a Bosch 1590 jigsaw. I think I could do a heck of a lot with just these few tools.

Only if it's all happening at the same time. Otherwise, there are lots of safe places to go if you have enough warning and the means to move.
--
"Wherever there is a jackboot stomping on a human face there will be a
well-heeled Western liberal to explain that the face does, after all, enjoy

Not so sure of that. Even with a few days notice, thousands couldn't make it out of the path of Katrina. Of course, you're right by using the word "all". The winds and then the water and electricity being cut off, pretty much in a one, two, three punch. I'd say they endured a good portion of "all" at the same time.
wrote in message

Hmmm...So now winter is considered a natural disaster...

Where's my disaster relief funding? -Canada
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:24:39 -0500, Battleax wrote:

Yeah ... you should see what it does to my tomatoes!