Starting Over...What Would You Buy?

After watching the still unfolding diaster along the Gulf coast, I can't help but think of all the workshops that were destroyed.

All the tools and the effort that was expended to get them in the first place...such a waste. It has taken me decades to find and buy the quality and quantity of tools that I have. To replace them in a reasonable timeframe and cost is impossible...and I am sure this applies to many readers here.

Now if you were in the situation to HAVE to start over to rebuild your shop...what would you buy, where and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that those who have been affected by a loss will appreciate.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Personally while watching the unfolding disaster along the Gulf coast, I can't help but think about my fellow American and the months and years of anguish and personal loss of family that he will suffer from. I think it is way way way too early to even consider worrying about replacing equipment lost in a flood like the one in NO. Those affected really have more important considerations to consider like where am I going to live, where am I going to go to work, and when will I be reunited with my family, just to name a few. Whether it has taken decades or months to obtain something so trivial as a garage full of tools, those swamped tools mean little when compared to the real travesty that will continue to unfold. I can assure you that if you were in their shoes a collection of tools would be far far in the back of your mind.

Reply to
Leon

I would deffinitely start with a Bridgeport mill with CNC capability and a fourth axis. Well tooled, of course. With this one machine I could do 90% of whatever work I need done in my business of developing tools, machines and products for clients and my own crazy ideas. The remaining 10% would be a good convertible horizontal/vertical 1/8" bandsaw as close to a wire edm as possible, and enough hand tools to drive my wife crazy.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I agree with Leon's comments, as usual.

I also believe that, were I to restock my shop, there would be maybe two-thirds fewer tools than now reside there.

Why? I'd make fewer buying mistakes. (There would be, for example, no Shopsmith.)

I have a better understanding of what I enjoy doing.

The economics of 'make vs. buy' are more meaningful now, and I now know many more craftspersons, whose work I would trust.

I'd take my friends up on their offer of loaning a tool, or having them come over to help more.

As we get older, some of us seek to lighten the load, live a simpler life, and not try to solve every problem with a new tool.

I realize that life will still be pretty much the same, even if I never am the proud owner of a vintage Stanley Model 45.

But most of all, a shop is just filled with stuff that enables creativity and productivity. It was empty when I bought the place 7 or

8 years ago. If I died tomorrow, there would be one heck of a garage sale, but that's about all that would matter, regards the stuff.

It's only a small part of life.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I agree with you 110% .

The subject of rebuilding the shop to rebuild one's home/business/hobby is a subject that will need to be addressed in the future and that is why I posted it asking for any suggestions that anyone might have.

My apology if you thought I believed that material processions take priority over the human cost...it definitely does not.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Not if said collection of tools IS the owners means of income......Then they would be much more than a "trivial garage full of tools" !!

NET

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

If it was a means of income I can assure you I nor do I think the person doing this for a living would have to discuss with anyone what would have to replaced.

Reply to
Leon

I tend to buy the small version of a machine, then later on realize I need something larger, then buy the medium size version, then realize I still need larger, and so on. If I had to do it again, I would buy big and be done with it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy imported machinery. I wouldn't buy a single Craftsman product (manual, electric or pneumatic). I would have far fewer cordless tools.

I'd buy another TA-185 tig welder, but would skip the stick and mig.

I'd buy a good 1/2" 6 point socket set. I'd skip the 12 point crap, as well as the 1/4" and 3/8" stuff.

I'd skip the radial arm saw.

I'd skip the Maglites, lanterns, halogen lights and trouble lights. I'd get another Luxeon headlight.

I would still buy a zillion router bits.

I wouldn't join and plane fine wood, then laminate them into a workbench. I'd screw some plywood together and be done with it.

I would buy TWO of the best jack stands I could find, but no more than two.

I'd skip that spring loaded air hose spool like the one at the service center.

I wouldn't even think about buying a creeper.

I'd buy a gigantic 3 phase air compressor, probably an Eaton.

Reply to
AL

I know the feeling. I need a lawn tractor. Looking at a D9.

Reply to
CW

Nice tractor. Accessories are expensive though.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's my kind of lawn tractor! It's good advice too. Big stuff is often cheaper, better built and more capable. If you've got space, go for it.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I would normally agree but in the past I have seen several cases where because of flooding or a fire the owner affected has just decided to throw in the towel and go work for someone else since they did not believe that they could rebuild. Sometimes it is because of the time involved in rebuilding or the expense. At some time in our lives, we all reach the point where there is no point to rebuild. Shortening the time or reducing the cost can make the difference between a business rebuilding after a disaster or not.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Sun, Sep 11, 2005, 9:20am (EDT-3) From: too_many snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Too_Many_Tools) for some reason wonders: Now if you were in the situation to HAVE to start over to rebuild your shop...what would you buy, where and why?

I just posted an inspiration, and came across this.

In the instance of living in an area hit by a hurricaint, a ticket. At the closest bus, or train, station. To get far away from the coast, so it wouldn't happen to me again. Once the subject of surviving was out of the way that is, anything else would be of lesser importance. Sheesh.

JOAT I don't believe in reincarnation. I used to, but that was in another life.

Reply to
J T

Hurricanes on east cost, tornados south midwest, earthquakes west cost. Farther north, freeze your butt off in sub-zero weather a number of months of the year, ice storms, flooding in the mid western provinces or states, forest fires in the mountain regions, mud slides, avalanches. There's only one place to go to be safe from it all and that means you're dead.

Reply to
Upscale

Here in the midwest, I don't know anyone that has lost property due to a natural disaster, but I know two people who lost their shops due to fires. Shit happens. That's why I have insurance and am not emotionally attached to my stuff.

Reply to
AL

I live in Syracuse, NY, and I'll take any amount of snow and cold over hurricanes - I really don't think there's any comparison. Snow is can be an inconvenience, but unless you choose to drive in it with poor tires, or sit out in it with poor clothing, it is not nearly the life-threatening disaster of a hurricane. When was the last time you heard of thousands (or even tens) of people dying in a snowstorm? A big ice storm might make a little dent in the economy if it takes down lots of trees and power lines, but that's still nothing compared to the hundreds of billions of dollars that's on the line for the gulf coast. Anyway, this is somewhat off the topic of this thread. What I'd replace - bandsaw, router, drill press (even though I don't have one quite yet), chisels, a quality combination square, and of course a Knight smoother. Maybe a Bosch 1590 jigsaw. I think I could do a heck of a lot with just these few tools.

Reply to
Andy

Only if it's all happening at the same time. Otherwise, there are lots of safe places to go if you have enough warning and the means to move.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Not so sure of that. Even with a few days notice, thousands couldn't make it out of the path of Katrina. Of course, you're right by using the word "all". The winds and then the water and electricity being cut off, pretty much in a one, two, three punch. I'd say they endured a good portion of "all" at the same time.

Reply to
Upscale

This makes no sense. If TooManyTools has lost items in the floods should he refrain from trying to replace them until all other victims have their lives together? If so, why? He is also a victim of the floods and is in the process of rebuilding, regardless of the extent of his loss. Leon seems to have taken offense that he is doing so.

Reply to
Battleax

Torch, welder and grinder.

John