Starting Over...What Would You Buy?

Page 1 of 3

After watching the still unfolding diaster along the Gulf coast, I can't help but think of all the workshops that were destroyed.
All the tools and the effort that was expended to get them in the first place...such a waste. It has taken me decades to find and buy the quality and quantity of tools that I have. To replace them in a reasonable timeframe and cost is impossible...and I am sure this applies to many readers here.
Now if you were in the situation to HAVE to start over to rebuild your shop...what would you buy, where and why?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions that those who have been affected by a loss will appreciate.
TMT

Personally while watching the unfolding disaster along the Gulf coast, I can't help but think about my fellow American and the months and years of anguish and personal loss of family that he will suffer from. I think it is way way way too early to even consider worrying about replacing equipment lost in a flood like the one in NO. Those affected really have more important considerations to consider like where am I going to live, where am I going to go to work, and when will I be reunited with my family, just to name a few. Whether it has taken decades or months to obtain something so trivial as a garage full of tools, those swamped tools mean little when compared to the real travesty that will continue to unfold. I can assure you that if you were in their shoes a collection of tools would be far far in the back of your mind.
I agree with you 110% .
The subject of rebuilding the shop to rebuild one's home/business/hobby is a subject that will need to be addressed in the future and that is why I posted it asking for any suggestions that anyone might have.
My apology if you thought I believed that material processions take priority over the human cost...it definitely does not.
TMT
<Snipped>

Not if said collection of tools IS the owners means of income......Then they would be much more than a "trivial garage full of tools" !!
NET

If it was a means of income I can assure you I nor do I think the person doing this for a living would have to discuss with anyone what would have to replaced.
I would normally agree but in the past I have seen several cases where because of flooding or a fire the owner affected has just decided to throw in the towel and go work for someone else since they did not believe that they could rebuild. Sometimes it is because of the time involved in rebuilding or the expense. At some time in our lives, we all reach the point where there is no point to rebuild. Shortening the time or reducing the cost can make the difference between a business rebuilding after a disaster or not.
TMT

going
my
This makes no sense. If TooManyTools has lost items in the floods should he refrain from trying to replace them until all other victims have their lives together? If so, why? He is also a victim of the floods and is in the process of rebuilding, regardless of the extent of his loss. Leon seems to have taken offense that he is doing so.

Uh, no he should not refrain from replacing his tools. He should consider doing so after looking at what is really important and after getting his home and family back in order. Getting you home and kife and family back to a normal state should be the utmost of your priorities and starting to think about such minor problems as a flooded shop 2 weeks after the storm is an indicator that someone may not have a grasp of the problems that lay before him. I live in Houston and with living in Houston, flooding is not an unusual occourance. Houstton went through a very similar experience as NO back in 2001 and I personally have been in floods 2 or 3 times as far back as 1967. It takes months to even consider moving back into you home if you had only a foot standing in it for any period of time. First there is a shortage of contractors and materials and if you are lucky, claims adjusters to do the work when thousands of homes have been affected. Because there has been this filthy water in you home for possibly weeks and or months a serious case of mold starts to grow in your home. Everything in the house must be thrown out and replaced. Then at a minimum the sheet rock has to be replaced and the insulation must be torn out and replaced. If you are lucky, that is all you have to do. Then consider that all of the neighborhoods near you are doing the same thing in every house. On top of this you still have to go to work every day if the business was not wipped out and hope progress is being made on your home while you are staying at a hotel or an appartment that has no furniture. And how do you get to work, you vehicles flooded long before your house went under. You literally are lucky to have the clothes that are on your back.

Perhaps, to start a thread off with "After watching the still unfolding disaster along the Gulf coast, I can't help but think of all the workshops that were destroyed", All the tools and the effort that was expended to get them in the first place...such a waste. It has taken me decades to find and buy the quality and quantity of tools that I have.
I can assure you that for most flood victims it has also taken decades to obtain the much more important things in life such as his family, home, furniture, etc. For thousands it will again take decades to get back to the same state of well being and accomplishment as they were in 3 weeks ago. How can a person that has "actually" been through this or witnessed this on TV, not see the irony of the statements of the beginning of this thread? At the very least I see the statement as being a bit short sighted and seems to indicate a lack of compassion or understanding of what ANY flood victim will go through when his home has been flooded. "Maybe" 6 months from now a lucky victim can start to think about replacing his shop tools but keeping his family together and feeding them for the next several months should be his immediate concern.
With all that said, I can see the value of this thread but perhaps with a bit more compassion for those that are really in a hard ship right now, save the thread for another 12 months or so.

snip
How do you know so much about his particular situation?

I have been through 4 Major hurricanes plus Houston where I live went through a very similar experience as NO back in 2001 and I personally have been in floods 2 or 3 times as far back as 1967.

Lightweight...and irrelevant. I was refering to the original poster's particular situation, not your past experience. Everyone is giving TooMuchTools crap for trying to get his situation in order. Typical newsgroup bashing to make the bashers feel better. Good luck with that.

I do not often respond like this but here goes, YOU are full of crap and apparently have a hard comprehending what you read.
Lightweight MY ASS. ToMuchTools is not having to get any thing in order. He has not mentioned anything about him having a been involved in a flood. He has merely mentioned a possible scenario.
His particular situation does not involve having to do anything.

I was under the impression his tools suffered flood damage, this does not appear to be the case. I had him mixed up with a previous poster wondering about his tablesaw and garage full of tools under water. Regardless, Huston was a blip compared to NO.
the impression his tools suffered flood damage, this does not

Right. Explain that to the neighborhoods of families that took more than 12-18 months to get back into their homes. While not all of Houston was totally flooded, I would say that out of a population of 2.5 million and the metro area now being closer to 5 million probably 7-10% of the homes were flooded. Now compare that to the population of NO and I think you will have to agree that was no blip. Houston had water that was easily 16-20 feet deep on a freeway going into down town just from my side of town. Add in the other 6 freeways going into down town.
so back on topic...
I'd get the dust collector before I got the shop vac.

Make sure you ground it...
Another example of something I skimped on. I would skip the Jet 1.5HP dust collector and get a giant cyclone. But I wouldn't think twice about spending extra for another Fein Turbo II.

after a little thought, I'm gonna qualify my post.
if all I was doing is replacing my shop, the DC would be purchased before the vac. but if the process involved cleaning up after a hurricane, the vac would be one of the very first purchases.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:49:34 -0500, "Battleax"

Gentlemen, please settle down and stay civil
I'm that previous poster and I just got back from Biloxi an hour ago. My very special Unisaw is probably toast, however, I still plan to try to recover it. In addition to that I lost about another $2500 in tools that were in the same mini warehouse that I had stored the Unisaw. No insurance.
After spending the weekend dragging my Mother in Law's entire material existence out of her house and to the street, I consider myself lucky. She got seven feet of water and a tree crushed about a third of her house.
Lucky that I did not lose more. Lucky that I came into contact with a number of these little out of town Church groups that are roaming the area helping out. There must be hundreds of them. Eight of them from the first Baptist Church of Gainesville, Fla.spent a full day helping me drag all that slimey stuff to the street in the most intolerable conditions and they never stopped smiling. Lucky to have met the woman from the Parkway Presbyterian Church from Canton Mississippi who stayed up all night cooking so she could feed all comers and she fed me the best meal I may have ever had. Lucky when a group from a church in Macon Missiissippi walked up to me in the middle of the afternoon in the broiling sun and handed me a cold bottle of water. Lucky to have seen some of all the out of state policemen, firemen, nurses, doctors, guardsman, utility workers etc. etc.. making life better by the hour.
Lucky to witness the humor people can retain despite desperate conditions in their lives.
I probably met or saw more minor heroes in 72 hours than most people get to see in a lifetime.
What the media reported was looters and finger pointing about who is to blame for the poor planning and response.
What I saw was people helping out.
Lucky, indeed.
Frank

And most people never know about them. Bless them all. My best wishes for you too.
It seems so easy to gloss over what happens. But when it happens to you, your whole world turns up side down. My in-laws house was struck by lightening 2 months ago, our whole summer was really disrupted.
My heart goes out to all of those who went through a real disaster. Words cannot begin to describe the hell they go through.
Keep focusing on the good, and forget the jerks.