starrett straightedge

Page 1 of 2
I found this on ebay. Normal disclaimers - not associated with the seller. I remember periodic questions about straightedges so thought this link would be helpful.
Rick
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item801519941&category 581
hee hee ......
I've been wanting a quality straightedge. So when I read this post, I went immediately over to E-bay and ran the bid up $20, unsuccessfully.
-JBB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item801519941&category 581
it's at $75 now... :(
Rob
--
Please visit our (recently updated) web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item801519941&category 581
I just looked it up at W W Graingers, and it lists for around $415.00
It's currently going on eBay for $99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item801519941&category 581

and a good deal at that price: http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id 75&pcount=&Product_Id00612&SearchFlag or
http://tinyurl.com/33dkb

depends how straight you need it to be. starrett stuff is not overpriced for what it is. grinding a 6ft straight edge takes a huge machine. I don't know if there even is one in my town
For the same quality tat you can buy from a place that manufacturers them, you would pay about 4 to five times that for custom made. There are advantages to mass production.

Of course, that Starrett 72in straight edge NEW cost over $300
John

woodydelsur wrote:

The cost of three bits of scrap metal: http://www.tdl.com/~swensen/machines/straight_edge/straight_edge.html .

can
Uh huh. And how long would this process take for a novice?
todd

many many hours.
but seriously folks, for the accuracy that we as woodworkers need a 6foot length of 6" x 1/4" 6065t6 aluminum from a metal supply yard will work fine.
scribbled:

A few hours. I made 3 48" straightedges. See the description of my experience.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=v6nu1011u8ftslbb2ist7vli4ncbo8v0bp%404ax.com
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:17:49 +0000, Rob Stokes wrote:

Started poking around on the 'net a bit. A Starrett 72" straight edge generally retails for $300-400 dollars. So if the one in the auction hasn't been abused, it's a steal. Right now it's at $99, but there's still 6 days to go.
--
Joe Wells

Oh man.... as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything that straight.....(leave it alone ;-))
I'll check at the machine shop and see what they can do for me.
Woody

woodydelsur wrote:

Be sure to report back, please.
-- Mark
Rob Stokes wrote:

Two hunnerti$h (If I Remember Correctly) new from Starrett.
UA100
    Greetings and Salutations...
wrote:

    And when I looked at it the bid was up to $99. Of course, since the street price on this puppy seems to be about 300$ or so, that is still a pretty good price. If one needs a 6' long, REALLY accurate straight edge.     Dave Mundt
My guess is that you can add another zero to that bid and you *might* win.
todd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item801519941&category 581
I like Starrett rules at least as much as anyone but would like to suggest that the kind of precision we expect of Starrett is rarely needed in most woodshops.
Some time back I set aside 4' and 8' lengths of 1/8" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" extruded aluminum angle and 1/8" x 1-1/2" flat bar stock.
The flat is 0.125" thick and 1.500" wide everywhere I've measured and, using the three-bar test, appeared straight over its entire length.
The angle is similarly uniform in straightness, width and thickness; but the outer faces do not meet at exactly 90. Since I don't use it for checking squareness, I don't care (I /do/ have a nice Starrett square for that job) - I use the angle only as a straightedge when the bar would not be supported for its entire length (the angle is less inclined to sag when not completely supported) and I always use the shortest edge the job requires.
It's been long enough since I bought the aluminum that I've forgotten the exact price - but I think all four pieces cost less than US$25. I drilled a 3/8" hole at the end of each piece so they could be hung on the wall out of harm's way - and I got crazy one day and hand polished the short flat straightedge (using Gunk and a paper towel) until it was mirror bright.
No, they're not *ultra* precise - and they don't have scales; but they do fill /my/ needs for straight reference edges as well as would Starrett's best.
If the eBay price moves out of reach, you might find my approach to be a adequate/satisfactory alternative.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

at a local junkyard I found some 6" x 1/4" hardened aluminum stock that is as straight as I can measure.... for $1 a pound....