starrett straightedge

I found this on ebay. Normal disclaimers - not associated with the seller. I remember periodic questions about straightedges so thought this link would be helpful.

Rick

Rick Stein

hee hee ......

I've been wanting a quality straightedge. So when I read this post, I went immediately over to E-bay and ran the bid up $20, unsuccessfully.

-JBB

J.B. Bobbitt

it's at $75 now... :(

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Wow $1 an inch????

Has anyone had a straight edge made at a machine shop? I assume they can make them straight but how much would it cost?

woodydelsur

Started poking around on the 'net a bit. A Starrett 72" straight edge generally retails for $300-400 dollars. So if the one in the auction hasn't been abused, it's a steal. Right now it's at $99, but there's still

6 days to go.
Reply to
Joe Wells

I just looked it up at W W Graingers, and it lists for around $415.00

It's currently going on eBay for $99

Timothy Drouillard

Oh man.... as a hobbyist I don't think I need anything that straight.....(leave it alone ;-))

I'll check at the machine shop and see what they can do for me.

Woody

Reply to
woodydelsur

and a good deal at that price:

depends how straight you need it to be. starrett stuff is not overpriced for what it is. grinding a 6ft straight edge takes a huge machine. I don't know if there even is one in my town

Reply to
Bridger

Two hunnerti$h (If I Remember Correctly) new from Starrett.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Be sure to report back, please.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

My guess is that you can add another zero to that bid and you *might* win.

todd

todd

And when I looked at it the bid was up to $99. Of course, since the street price on this puppy seems to be about 300$ or so, that is still a pretty good price. If one needs a 6' long, REALLY accurate straight edge. Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

For the same quality tat you can buy from a place that manufacturers them, you would pay about 4 to five times that for custom made. There are advantages to mass production.

Reply to
CW

todd

Reply to
todd

Of course, that Starrett 72in straight edge NEW cost over $300

John

Reply to
John Crea

I like Starrett rules at least as much as anyone but would like to suggest that the kind of precision we expect of Starrett is rarely needed in most woodshops.

Some time back I set aside 4' and 8' lengths of 1/8" x 1-1/2" x

1-1/2" extruded aluminum angle and 1/8" x 1-1/2" flat bar stock.

The flat is 0.125" thick and 1.500" wide everywhere I've measured and, using the three-bar test, appeared straight over its entire length.

The angle is similarly uniform in straightness, width and thickness; but the outer faces do not meet at exactly 90º. Since I don't use it for checking squareness, I don't care (I /do/ have a nice Starrett square for that job) - I use the angle only as a straightedge when the bar would not be supported for its entire length (the angle is less inclined to sag when not completely supported) and I always use the shortest edge the job requires.

It's been long enough since I bought the aluminum that I've forgotten the exact price - but I think all four pieces cost less than US$25. I drilled a 3/8" hole at the end of each piece so they could be hung on the wall out of harm's way - and I got crazy one day and hand polished the short flat straightedge (using Gunk and a paper towel) until it was mirror bright.

No, they're not *ultra* precise - and they don't have scales; but they do fill /my/ needs for straight reference edges as well as would Starrett's best.

If the eBay price moves out of reach, you might find my approach to be a adequate/satisfactory alternative.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

many many hours.

but seriously folks, for the accuracy that we as woodworkers need a

6foot length of 6" x 1/4" 6065t6 aluminum from a metal supply yard will work fine.
Reply to
Bridger

at a local junkyard I found some 6" x 1/4" hardened aluminum stock that is as straight as I can measure.... for $1 a pound....

Reply to
Bridger

/That's/ a gloat!

I'm stuck paying US$1.90/pound for an aircraft alloy (new).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The cost of three bits of scrap metal:

Father Haskell