starrett squares

I think someone answered this question before, but I can't find it searching the archives. With Starrett combination squares, what is the difference between models with the glossy black finsih and ones with the wrinkle finish? TIA Eric

Reply to
eag111

wrinkle ones are cast iron, while the smooth ones are forged hardened steel.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thanks--I had searched the Starrett website but couldn't find the info.

Now...which one is preferred, or considered more accurate/durable?

Reply to
eag111

depends on your use. IIRC, cast iron is more dimensionally stable but steel wears better.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

> The wrinkle ones are cast iron, while the smooth ones are forged > hardened steel.

True. I think you'll also find that the really old ones all had a smooth finish.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin