starrett squares

I think someone answered this question before, but I can't find it searching the archives. With Starrett combination squares, what is the difference between models with the glossy black finsih and ones with the wrinkle finish? TIA Eric
snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote:

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?GrpTab ature&GroupID9
The wrinkle ones are cast iron, while the smooth ones are forged hardened steel.
Chris
Thanks--I had searched the Starrett website but couldn't find the info.
Now...which one is preferred, or considered more accurate/durable?
snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote:

depends on your use. IIRC, cast iron is more dimensionally stable but steel wears better.
Chris Friesen wrote:

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?GrpTab ature&GroupID9
True. I think you'll also find that the really old ones all had a smooth finish.
John Martin