Starrett combination square - worth the price

The local dealer where I've been doing my shopping has a penchant for carrying absolutely the best hand tools available, no matter what the cost. My combination square disappeared when we moved overseas last year and I need to get a new one. So, Lowe's carry's Johnson models for $9-$12 each. I decided to see what my favorite woodworking store carried. They have brands like Inca and Starrett. The 12" Starrett combination square sells for $69.95!!!! Good grief! At that price, it ought to cook breakfast for me.

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs. the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a famous brand name.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

With moderate care, you'll never have to buy another such square: the Starretts' are that good. The metallurgy is up to snuff in the Starrett, whereas I have had numerous other squares tightening/sliding widget wear out in less than a year. That tells you something about how "square" these others are in short order.

Kim

Reply to
Kim Whitmyre

The Starrett will be square. The Johnson might be square.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

The Starrett is a Square.

The Johnson is more of a Random Angle Generator.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

The Starrett is a Square.

The Johnson is more of a Random Angle Generator.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Reply to
Jim K

The Starrett is a tool that will last for several lifetimes if cared for. I have one that is at least 50 years old and I use it daily. Having owned some cheap "squares" I can tell you to check them carefully and often. They usually are not square.

To check a square hold it to the edge of a straight board and scribe a line, then flip the square over and, using the same edge, check the line you scribed. The tool is out of square by 1/2 the amount of error you see.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Reply to
Bill Rittner

Reply to
bynot

As for a standard, I'll put a good quality engineers square against any try square, including a Starrett. Although it probably is the best try square around.

BTW, I have an early Stanley engineers square (patent date 1874) and it's still square after a 100+ years.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Dumpster diving for tools! It might be 89.87 degrees, but it's _exactly_

89.87 degrees!

:-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Just for fun, I calculated the error on a square that was 89.87.

On 3', the error is 5/64" and at 8' is 7/32"

Reply to
Bruce

you can find them on ebay for a pretty good prices. I have gotten most of my squares from ebay.

Reply to
Steve Knight

You can get the basic 12" model from Tools For Working Wood

for $49

jw

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:57:16 GMT, Steve Knight pixelated:

Are we talking tools or plane buyers here, Steve?

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson, at the low end, and the Starrett? Are there any brands (or even one) in between the two extremes?

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

Look, just because it is cheap doesn't mean it isn't square. Pick a few off the rack and take them down to the lumber aisle and check them on a sheet of 4x8 MDF, which will be absolutely square. You really need to be careful and eyeball them correctly, looking for ANY air gap at all. If it is square when you buy it, it should remain square.

Reply to
Bruce

Rabone Chesterman.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

squares (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

The Starrett squares have some subtle differences which make them a pleasure to use. For example, the edge of the rule is square to the face (of the rule), so drawing a repeatable line with a knife or pencil is easy. The Johnson square (at least the one that I own) has a rounded edge--the line wanders depending on how I hold the knife or pencil.

Reply to
AL

I used to buy whatever square was available in my local hardware store (before HD.) About 10 years ago I bought a Starrett 18" square at a pawn shop for all of $20. I was using it today and it is much easier to read and set than the other "non-Starrett" squares. A couple of years ago I sprung for Starrett's "Builder's Combination Tool." A hefty 24 inch square with an adjustable head.

find myself using this a lot and am impressed with how repeatable angle settings are.

I don't think you can go wrong with Starrett.

Phil

Bob Davis wrote:

Reply to
Phil