staple gun advice

Can someone here help me operate a staple gun? I just bought my first one, I've read and re-read the directions and still can't get the staples to go flush to the wood.
The one I bought is the Arrow ET2025HD combo staple / nail gun. It's made to staple over wire, and I removed the small metal guide in the front so that it should shoot the staples flush to the wood like the instructions said, but they're still sticking up about 1/8 inch, not much different from before I removed the guide. I'm using Arrow T20 3/8 inch staples, and the wood is pine. I'm stapling screen to the wood. The instructions also say to twist the top, and it has a plus and minus, but it doesn't say what this does, and which way does what.
I hate it when a simple tool like this can make me feel stupid, and I don't want it to win.
What else should I be doing to make the staples lay flat against the wood?
Thanks! Pat
Take it back for a refund. It is junk!
I bought one also and hate it. It simply does not have enough power to drive a staple. I use my spring loaded staple gun with much better results.

It may be the same one I bought years ago. It just does not work well at all. I was able to drive 1/2" brads fairly well, but for staples, it just does not have the power. Invest in a small compressor and an air gun.
Yes, that's the advice I'm getting from everyone else, too. Guess I'll head back to the store. Darn.
Thank you so much!
Pat
wrote in message

Smack them with a hammer?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I have a "Rapide" staple gun similar to the Arrow T20. I use 12mm staples and it fires them fully into softwoods, ply etc. Mine has a +/- lever on it. When set to - it leaves the staples proud, but when set to + it fires them in flush.
Malcolm Webb
Pat wrote:

I usually shoot the first couple right through whatever I'm working on before I remember to crank the air pressure way back, but I see this is an electric model. I've got three different electric staplers on my shelf in the basement and none of them work for beans. I now use a Senco pneumatic fine wire stapler and it works like a champ.
Roger