Stanley Tripod Flashlight

Page 3 of 4
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Hush now ... you're bringing back bad memories. ;)
At one time it was required knowledge to even walk into a studio control room, and I learned/knew it cold, well enough to eventually own/run a commercial recording studio (still do, but no longer operate, or even participate, unless at the point of a gun).
But now it's so nice to be able to just sit back and LISTEN, without all the analytical details that are absolutely necessary into creating a modern commercial recording, no matter how "golden eared" you are!
I never thought that getting older, no longer having that quality, and actually knowing when to quit, could be so pleasant. I wonder how Bruce (Swieden) still does it?
(Actually, I do know/understand the psychoacoustic "why" of "how" he does it, but like your quote above, it makes me tired thinking about it!) ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Not to discredit those people but probably few of them have ever been in a music hall with fine acustics to know that there are sounds that are created that the CD or Ipod will never reproduce.

SPL
and
created
Or mics to pick them up in the first place, or speakers to reproduce them before they get to the final judge - the psychoacoustic properties of the individual human ear.
But to me what is really interesting/intriguing, and that anyone who has ever spent much time *mixing" in the studio can attest to, is the fact that there are often things you may hear in a mix/audience that are not actually recorded/played, but come from a combination of recorded/played sounds/instruments.
Indeed, there are some symphonies that intentionally have "ghost" parts that are "heard" by the audience, despite the fact that no one is actually playing that part.
I love that!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Exactly. It was a long time ago but when I was still in school and in the choir, our instructor would record our practice sessions. Very low tech but it always sounded different to us. We were not looking for a quality playback so much as sounds that we would improve upon in a particualr hall. We could not hear the sounds when singing but the recorder would let us hear the problems.

Exactly! There is nothing like live and no electronics.
Leon wrote:

I wife has heard the identical performance in both a 30 seat room and a "real" concert hall.

Swingman, did you SIL get the upgrade parts here or in England? If here, where? I have a 3 cell mag light that I would like to upgrade.
Thanks.
"Leon" wrote in message

Here, by all means. Judging from the amount of "stuff" he brings back, and because of the highly favorable exchange rate, I'd say that he comes strictly to buy gadgets like that.
AAMOF, on the return flight they checked in with _exactly_ 342 lbs of luggage (maglites and multi-tools?) between the three of them ... I didn't even know you could do that!
As I indicated earlier, I wasn't paying too much attention to this flashlight business until it was an accomplished fact. It may been Academy, but it could just as easily been Wal-Mart ... hell, it felt like we hit every store in two states.
I'll ask when I call this week to see if they've yet been able to teach my grandson another word besides "COW!" ... (that's what they get for coming to Texas!) ;)
ITMT, and before you leap, you're welcome to stop by and swap 3 cells for a couple of days to see if it suits you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

LOL. I recall years ago selling 12 new tape decks to a guy from Mexico. He also bought a piece of luggage and loaded it with those unboxed tape decks to take back with him, loose parts and all.

Was there a moving van waithing at the air port? ;~)

I was slow to pick up on that. I'll check um out. Seems like Fry's or Radio Shack would be a good place to look.

Cow. ;~) Wouldn't it be a hoot had he gone back with "y'all". Maybe if they visit again in 2 or 3 more years or sooner Grandpa can work on that.

I may do that. Too nasty to work out side and I am getting bored quickly. With our kids back in school it is kinda quiet. If I get the urge I'll call before I come.
"Leon" wrote in message

I asked that ... apparently SIL's father has a "people van" and met them at the airport ... whatever that is, but probably exactly what it sounds like.

I tried ... lord, how I tried!

for
Any time ... the granite, but not the backsplash, is in in that last kitchen we did. Although it looks like all the others, you may want to check out your handiwork.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Swingman wrote:

Mmmmm... one would have thought it would have been "BULL!"
...as it was too easy, I decided not to send this reply, but I had already hit the 'send' button.
*smirks*
"Robatoy" wrote in message

LOL ... I was trying to keep it to one syllable at a time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Actually the upgrades I've seen for the AA are just 3 little LED's. I bought the model that comes with the single bright LED. How much is a Surefire? How much for the battery? The military uses something like that but cost is no object for them.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Uh, Andy, there's only one manufacturer of Luxeon LEDs, the people who do the Maglite conversions get them from the same place that Surefire does and there's nothing special about the ones that they sell to Surefire except maybe that they get picked for color match.
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:15:22 -0600, "Leon"

Take a look at <http://www.flashlightreviews.com and you'll find reviews on several mini-maglite conversions (and numerous other flashlights as well). I have one with the Opalec and one with the Terralux--both work fine, the Terralux is brighter but with shorter battery life, the Opalec is not quite as bright, but runs a long time and holds full brightness until the batteries are pretty well gone. The Opalec also seems to give a somewhat smoother light field.
<http://www.pocketlights.com/ledbulbs_for_mini_maglite.asp has both and I've done enough business with them to feel that they are a reliable outfit--the only time I've ever had a problem was right after Katrina--I didn't realize they were in Louisiana--anyway that order was slow but I can't really fault them for it.
You can find the Nite-Ize conversion at many sporting goods stores and the like--it's cheap and it works but it leaves a bit to be desired when compared with the others--the flashlightreviews discussion of it will give you the details.
Someone mentioned Surfire. Surefire makes good flashlights, there's no question of that, and if your life may depend on the thing working then that's t he one to go for, but you can get a whole collection of converted Maglites for the price of one Surefire and as for "purpose made bulbs" they use the same Luxeon LEDs as the Terralux Maglite conversion. There's also the battery issue--Surefires use CR-123 lithium cells that are hard to find and quite expensive compared to the standard AAA, AA, C, or D cells that the Maglites use.
Leon wrote:

Depends on the LED.
I have an LED aviation flashlight, LED bicycle lamps, and an LED strobes on my airplanes that kick serious ass. The aviation flashlight is TOO BRIGHT for cockpit use, with a single LED and (2) AAA cells, so I have tape over the face of it. It makes a 2xAA cell MagLite look like an antique, not to mention 10 times the battery life.
The LED strobes are "insanely" bright, and current biz-jets and small aircraft come factory equipped with LED markers and strobes.
My red/blue/green/white flashlight was $50, and the Whelan Engineering tail strobe was $600. Think of that, then think of Stanley as a brand. What level of LED quality do you think Stanley would spec? Then realize that the Stanley flashlight retails for about $25. <G>

I'll have to check out the better bulbs.
"Leon" wrote in message

http://64.233.167.104/search?q che:FqRxJXtCNH0J:www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Flashlights%2520-%2520LED/Nite%2520Ize%2520Maglite%2520LED%2520Upgrade%2520Kit/Owner%2520Review%2520by%2520Andrew%2520Mytys/+%22maglite+LED+upgrade%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
... watch the wrap.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

There's a review of it at <http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/stanley_max-t.htm . There are comparison charts on that site--with all six LEDs going on fresh batteries it should be more or less comparable to a mini-maglite.
LED flashlights generally aren't bright--their strengths are the evenness of the illumination, longevity, and battery life--with 9 batteries in it that Stanley should run for days on one LED.
Use it for a while and I think it will grow on you--first time I tried an LED flashlight I was hooked, but I still keep a fairly powerful incandescent for those situations in which I really need brightness or a long reach.

"A late holiday president"? Freudian slip Bill?
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

On 17/01/2007 9:15 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

There are good LED flashlights but they're pricey. I've got a Surefire E2L that's rated at 30 lumens output. In contrast a stock mini-mag 2AA light is less than 6. Nice thing about Surefire (and others) is they're powered by lightweight lithium 123 batteries with very long shelf-life and good run-time.