Stanley Tripod Flashlight

Page 1 of 4
Any body got one of these?
I received the Stanley Tripod Flashlight (model 95-112) as a late holiday president and fired it up yesterday for the first time. It has 6 LED bulbs and uses up to 9 AA batteries. You can switch on 1, 2 or all 6 lamps.
Well I put in the 9 batteries (all new), stood in the dark and switched on all 6 lamps. In my opinion, the light output is pitiful. Most of my ordinary flashlights are better.
So, is it just me, or did I get a bad one? Does anyone else have one of these? What is your opinion/experience?
Thanks,
Bill Leonhardt

IMHO LED's get toooooo much recognition. For now, they are simply less effective when used in a flash light. They are pathetic when it come to casting a light on something although they are great for signal lights. I have seen several LED flash lights that perform poorly when compared to a regular incandescent flash light.
The only advantage is that they last a long time and use less electricity, but if you cannot see....
Leon wrote:

I bought a little 3 AAA cell flashlight with a 2 watt LED. It is about the same as a two AA cell Mag Light. So I got a 2 AA cell MagLight with a 3 watt LED. Cannot tell the difference between it and the other with a regular bulb, other than the batteries last at least twice as long. It focuses just like a regular MagLight.
Then I got a replacement LED Bulb for my large MagLight with good results. Two savings are longer battery life and indefinite bulb life. If you have ever been coon hunting and had a bulb go out and forgot to bring a spare you know what I mean.
Now the lights with 3-9 small leds are toys.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I just got this strong visual of an advertising campaign with this salt of the earth coon hunter standing there with his dogs and guns, holding up a LED flashlight.
Something along the lines of, "Even us old time coon hunters can embrace a new technology". Which would be followed by sipping a strong, clear liquid from an old mason jar.
Lee Michaels wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:
> Don't knock it. I've sipped some that was just like vodka.
Had a room mate in college who had a job at a pharmacy.
Periodically he came home with a quart of 190 proof grain-ethyl.
Also, way back then, the state run liquor stores sold it.
Cut it 1:1 with distilled water and you had 100 proof vodka.
Lew

Where did you get the replacement LED for your MAG light?

Gary
Leon wrote:
| Where did you get the replacement LED for your MAG light?
If you have an Interstate Battery outlet nearby, they have 'em.
Leon wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
"Leon" wrote in message

I wasn't even aware of the upgrade until my SIL upgraded both of my Maglites while he was here back in Nov.
IIRC, he got the LED kits at Academy here in Houston. I might have also seen them at HD recently .... worth a call.
He also put the back "push button" upgrade in my smaller AA model ... no longer twist the cap to turn it on, just press the button that replaced the back cap for the battery compartment.
I was a bit reluctant about the LED bulb in my larger 3 Cell Mag, but are both actually much brighter than the bulbs they replaced ... a recommended upgrade, IME
SIL also told me that in UK/EU, the kits for both, as well as spare parts for Maglites, are readily available but cost more than the flashlights themselves here in the US, so it's cheaper to buy a new one here than the spare parts ... AAMOF, every time he comes over, he goes back with a dozen or so for his mates ... this is usually before he goes into "leatherman mode" ... he brings an extra suitcase for those. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Leon wrote:

Not worth it IMHO. The LED torches using better LEDs designed especially for torches and with suitable reflectors built in beat the pants off any converted twin AA Maglite I've seen.
If you aren't convinced by LED torches yet, just try a Surefire.

Have one that stays in the studio ... impressive, and you would expect it to be at about ten times the cost (less than $10) of an "LED upgrade kit" for a MagLite here in the US.
With the "Nite Ize" upgrade kit for the MagLite, the made for flashlights LED and a "suitable" reflector are included ... you could not do the conversion otherwise.
While not a Surefire, my bet is that a $10 upgrade to a tool that you already own, and that improves bulb performance/life, provides longer battery life, and lets you use weak batteries recycled from other equipment, will probably be considered "worth it" by those who do it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Swingman wrote:

I tried it and was disappointed, so I went with the Surefire.
"Doug Payne" wrote in message

Obviously a YMMV ... My Surefire cost $110, the latest Nite Ize upgrade for the 15 year old MagLite was $8 ... I am not disappointed in either for the price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Swingman wrote:

:-) I wasn't disappointed by the price, only by the light output or lack thereof. The mini-mag LED upgrade is fine if you don't need lots of light.
"Doug Payne" wrote in message

The two I have are both very recent "upgrades" (late Nov 06), and yours and Andy's comments make me wonder if there's been a recent improvement? I do know that my SIL tried one that was disappointing, then returned it for another, but I wasn't paying much attention at the time.
I've got two identical AA Maglites on my desk as we speak. One with, and one without, the "upgrade". There is no comparison as to the light output. The upgrade LED is much brighter, not even close.
The one in my the truck is a much larger 3 cell, and it too is far more powerful with the LED. Very noticeable difference, as I use it nightly when I close up houses that are under construction after the subs leave.
When he embarked on this project while visiting from the UK, of the two, the latter was the one I was worried about him messing with ... needlessly as it turned out.
My experiences, and yours and Andy's comments, make me suspect that there are upgrades, and then there are "upgrades". ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
On 17/01/2007 4:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yep, I think so. I value my time (highly), and and just couldn't be bothered trying to find endless variations of upgrade, so I went whole hog and bought the Surefire. Haven't been sorry.
Doug Payne wrote:

Over $ 100.00 for a wee flashlight! Who knew?
Robatoy wrote:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24223/sesent/00 they used to have one called The Beast for around $2900, the page is missing but the internet archive comes through again http://web.archive.org/web/20050110014518/http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24204/sesent/00 watch the line wrap or paste http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24204/sesent/00 into the archive search line at http://www.archive.org/index.php Joe