Stanley Tripod Flashlight

Any body got one of these?

I received the Stanley Tripod Flashlight (model 95-112) as a late holiday president and fired it up yesterday for the first time. It has

6 LED bulbs and uses up to 9 AA batteries. You can switch on 1, 2 or all 6 lamps.

Well I put in the 9 batteries (all new), stood in the dark and switched on all 6 lamps. In my opinion, the light output is pitiful. Most of my ordinary flashlights are better.

So, is it just me, or did I get a bad one? Does anyone else have one of these? What is your opinion/experience?

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

IMHO LED's get toooooo much recognition. For now, they are simply less effective when used in a flash light. They are pathetic when it come to casting a light on something although they are great for signal lights. I have seen several LED flash lights that perform poorly when compared to a regular incandescent flash light.

The only advantage is that they last a long time and use less electricity, but if you cannot see....

Reply to
Leon

There's a review of it at . There are comparison charts on that site--with all six LEDs going on fresh batteries it should be more or less comparable to a mini-maglite.

LED flashlights generally aren't bright--their strengths are the evenness of the illumination, longevity, and battery life--with 9 batteries in it that Stanley should run for days on one LED.

Use it for a while and I think it will grow on you--first time I tried an LED flashlight I was hooked, but I still keep a fairly powerful incandescent for those situations in which I really need brightness or a long reach.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
dale martin

I bought a little 3 AAA cell flashlight with a 2 watt LED. It is about the same as a two AA cell Mag Light. So I got a 2 AA cell MagLight with a 3 watt LED. Cannot tell the difference between it and the other with a regular bulb, other than the batteries last at least twice as long. It focuses just like a regular MagLight.

Then I got a replacement LED Bulb for my large MagLight with good results. Two savings are longer battery life and indefinite bulb life. If you have ever been coon hunting and had a bulb go out and forgot to bring a spare you know what I mean.

Now the lights with 3-9 small leds are toys.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

"Gerald Ross" wrote

I just got this strong visual of an advertising campaign with this salt of the earth coon hunter standing there with his dogs and guns, holding up a LED flashlight.

Something along the lines of, "Even us old time coon hunters can embrace a new technology". Which would be followed by sipping a strong, clear liquid from an old mason jar.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Where did you get the replacement LED for your MAG light?

Reply to
Leon

There are good LED flashlights but they're pricey. I've got a Surefire E2L that's rated at 30 lumens output. In contrast a stock mini-mag 2AA light is less than 6. Nice thing about Surefire (and others) is they're powered by lightweight lithium 123 batteries with very long shelf-life and good run-time.

Reply to
Doug Payne

I've seen them at Home Depot.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

| Where did you get the replacement LED for your MAG light?

If you have an Interstate Battery outlet nearby, they have 'em.

Morris Dovey

Gulp! WalMart

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Don't knock it. I've sipped some that was just like vodka.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I wasn't even aware of the upgrade until my SIL upgraded both of my Maglites while he was here back in Nov.

IIRC, he got the LED kits at Academy here in Houston. I might have also seen them at HD recently .... worth a call.

He also put the back "push button" upgrade in my smaller AA model ... no longer twist the cap to turn it on, just press the button that replaced the back cap for the battery compartment.

I was a bit reluctant about the LED bulb in my larger 3 Cell Mag, but are both actually much brighter than the bulbs they replaced ... a recommended upgrade, IME

SIL also told me that in UK/EU, the kits for both, as well as spare parts for Maglites, are readily available but cost more than the flashlights themselves here in the US, so it's cheaper to buy a new one here than the spare parts ... AAMOF, every time he comes over, he goes back with a dozen or so for his mates ... this is usually before he goes into "leatherman mode" ... he brings an extra suitcase for those. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Not worth it IMHO. The LED torches using better LEDs designed especially for torches and with suitable reflectors built in beat the pants off any converted twin AA Maglite I've seen.

If you aren't convinced by LED torches yet, just try a Surefire.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Depends on the LED.

I have an LED aviation flashlight, LED bicycle lamps, and an LED strobes on my airplanes that kick serious ass. The aviation flashlight is TOO BRIGHT for cockpit use, with a single LED and (2) AAA cells, so I have tape over the face of it. It makes a 2xAA cell MagLite look like an antique, not to mention 10 times the battery life.

The LED strobes are "insanely" bright, and current biz-jets and small aircraft come factory equipped with LED markers and strobes.

My red/blue/green/white flashlight was $50, and the Whelan Engineering tail strobe was $600. Think of that, then think of Stanley as a brand. What level of LED quality do you think Stanley would spec? Then realize that the Stanley flashlight retails for about $25.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I'll have to check out the better bulbs.

Reply to
Leon

Have one that stays in the studio ... impressive, and you would expect it to be at about ten times the cost (less than $10) of an "LED upgrade kit" for a MagLite here in the US.

With the "Nite Ize" upgrade kit for the MagLite, the made for flashlights LED and a "suitable" reflector are included ... you could not do the conversion otherwise.

While not a Surefire, my bet is that a $10 upgrade to a tool that you already own, and that improves bulb performance/life, provides longer battery life, and lets you use weak batteries recycled from other equipment, will probably be considered "worth it" by those who do it.

Reply to
Swingman

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:FqRxJXtCNH0J:

watch the wrap.

Reply to
Swingman

Had a room mate in college who had a job at a pharmacy.

Periodically he came home with a quart of 190 proof grain-ethyl.

Also, way back then, the state run liquor stores sold it.

Cut it 1:1 with distilled water and you had 100 proof vodka.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I tried it and was disappointed, so I went with the Surefire.

Reply to
Doug Payne