Stanley Sweetheart (SW) planes

Heads Up: Stanley has introduced four new planes using the old SW logo, including a smoother, two blocks and a low-angle jack. They look interesting, if a bit pricey; it's not clear from the pictures I've seen, but they look like an improved bedrock style.
Could find no information on Stanley's web site, but one of the big mail-order vendors (with a local store presence) is selling them.
scott
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 15, 6:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Stanley...? Starting to make quality tools again...?
Is this a troll? ;)
✖
RicodJour wrote:

handsaws and other stuff labeled "BIG MAX" that are pretty durn good.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:59:48 -0600, Just Wondering

Make that "FAT MAX". Allright for WalMart tools. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On 15 Jul 2009 22:42:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Shazamm!
If'n Satanly is makin' Sweetheats again, somebody done got to warn Paddy and Patrick.
Regards,
✖
Woodcraft is carrying them. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid !287 Art
Add pictures here
✖
Artemus wrote:

If they're being made in a new factory they may be OK. The last UK Stanley I bought showed every evidence that the tooling on which it was made was just plain worn out.
On the other hand if they shipped the worn out tooling from the UK then I don't expect much.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm not sure what tooling you're referring to, the body is cast then milled, and CNC milling machines are pretty common.
Regardless, these (from the pictures on woodcraft) look a lot more like L-N than old stanleys, which would imply new "tooling".
scott
Add pictures here
✖
On 16 Jul 2009 01:31:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

62-1/2 being sold by Lee Valley, just smaller. Stanley hasn't made a 62 since 1942, so I imagine it is new tooling for at least this plane.
The 9-1/2 and 60-1/2 look like the current production, apparently with an upgraded blade. Not a lot of info available at the Woodcraft site. Since these planes have adjustable mouths, dropping in a thicker blade is a snap. Considering how small the frogs are on these planes compared to old (as in around 1900) production, a wider blade is a very good idea.
The #4 doesn't resemble the Bedrock (or the LN bench plane either) other than both have totes and knobs. The cap iron, lateral adjuster and frog are completely different. The mechanism used in the new #4 is very similar to that used on the 62.
Regards, Roy
Add pictures here
✖

Very interesting. Who knew Stanley would wake up one day and recognize there was money to be made in the "gentleman woodworker," tool market. I wonder if this is a custom shop that's licensed Stanley's name.
O'Deen Just say For now I'll stick with my crispy type-11 #6 (fore plane, Jeff), equipped with a Hock A-2 blade
Add pictures here
✖

Maybe they'll offer a corrugated sole? I could be tempted if there was not so much good hardware out there already just waiting to be resurrected. Last week I refurbished three Disston D-20's I picked up for pocket change. They are still better saws than most others that have been made in the last 50 or so years.

Does the Hock blade really make a big difference? I have not upgraded because I'm reluctant to open up the mouth to accommodate the thicker blade, and there is no going back. Perhaps I need to get an expendable plane to experiment with, say a type-16 #5 (jack plane, Jeff). Could always turn it into a big scrub plane if it doesn't pan out.
Regards, Roy - who is growing more Galootish every day.
Add pictures here
✖

Hmmmm. Mine never needed any modification. (Type-11). I've got the mouth closed down to a gnat's ass, and it takes shavings so thin and fluffy, they float up. Also have a Hock carbon steel blade in a Type-11 #3c and same story.
Best, O'Deen
Add pictures here
✖

I look forward to seeing one of these kits. I'd like to see Stanley making some excellent hardware again. I have had several of their planes, but kept little that is post WW-II. I like the original Sweetheart planes, and hope these are as good. If they are, that may reduce the demand (and price) for user grade originals, which will make bottom feeders like me extremely happy.
My low angle block plane is a pre-1907 #65 that looks like it has been through the war - chipped cap, chipped body, came pre=rusted so I didn't have to, and overall amazingly ugly. The sole was flat so it was only a couple hours effort to de-rust it, free up the mouth, flatten the blade and scary sharpen it. It's a joy to use, and was bottom-feeder cheap. er, I mean frugal..
Yours in fine fettle, Roy
Add pictures here
✖

No, these are entirely new animals with new features. Check out this article Christopher Schwarz has done on them:
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/The+New+Stanley+Planes+Have+Arrived.aspx
The new #4 smoother has a Norris style adjuster, a lock down for the lateral adjustment, and adjustable mouth and the frog is cast as an integral part of the body.
I've had my hands on the 60-1/2 block and the 62 low angle jack. While the planes are actually made in Mexico, the quality on them is much better than what Stanley has been doing in recent years. If you want to see them up close, go to a Woodcraft store and ask to see them out of the box.
Add pictures here
✖