Stanley Planes

I bought 2 planes, via EBay, that were advertised as originals, not reproductions. I received them today and they sure look good, too good. There is no old age look to them, at all, and all metal looks too fine: with sharp, crisp edges, very clean metal and the screws are not worn anywhere, etc. Quite frankly, I think they are reproductions, not originals.
Has anyone experienced similar results? Are reproductions readily available from Stanley, or someone other than Stanley? I was thinking of purchasing 2 more, but now I'm hesitant.
Sonny
Go here, http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Sonny wrote:

You do know that Stanley makes nice, new planes, right? http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE TEGORY&CATEGORY=PLANES
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Saw a review somewhere that called them new, but definitely left off the word "nice" ... intimated strongly that Veritas, and others, were a much better buy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

To each their own :) but the point I was trying to make to the OP is that there is no reason for the planes he purchased to look old. He was trying to differentiate between "original" and "reproductions"...possibly he thought he was buying antiques? Dunno, he didn't say.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I don't know that what you think is your experience is in fact your experience. Unless you were buying a rarer example of an older Stanley there is not much money to be made in knocking off a plane. Post some pictures on one of the free hosting sites and post the links back here. Or you could post links to the auctions themselves (or similar ones from the same sellers). Let's take a look at what you have.
: Sonny wrote: :> I bought 2 planes, via EBay, that were advertised as originals, not :> reproductions. I received them today and they sure look good, too :> good. There is no old age look to them, at all, and all metal looks :> too fine: with sharp, crisp edges, very clean metal and the screws are :> not worn anywhere, etc. Quite frankly, I think they are :> reproductions, not originals.:> :> Has anyone experienced similar results? Are reproductions readily :> available from Stanley, or someone other than Stanley? I was thinking :> of purchasing 2 more, but now I'm hesitant.:> :> Sonny : You do know that Stanley makes nice, new planes, right? : http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE TEGORY&CATEGORY=PLANES
That's the old, everyone-agrees-are-junky Stanley planes. The new line are completely redesigned, and have gotten good early press, though I have not seen a complete review anywhere yet.
Here's a better link to the new line:
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/The+New+Stanley+Planes+Have+Arrived.aspx
and
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/First+Photos+Of+The+New+Stanley+Planes.aspx http://lumberjocks.com/topics/8933
These all turned up on a google search for "woodworking new stanley planes".
    -- Andy Barss
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:35:17 -0400, the infamous "dadiOH"

I see that at least _two_ whole parts on the new 12-100 are real metal. Sadness overwhelms me as I caress my #4-1/2's lovely patina, thinking of what the makers now turn out...

Stanley doesn't appear to have their "nice new planes" on their web site. Try here:
http://www.woodcraft.com/catalog/family.aspx?id 21287
scott