Stanley plane question

Since I already have a #4 for my smoothing work, do I really need a #5? There's a good deal on one.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Strike that question. I already have a #5. For some reason, I just think of it as my jack plane.

But checking on it reminds me of another question. Is there a way to refinish the "japanning" without making it look terrible, as I've seen other planes that have been spraypainted?

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

YES!

Multiple planes gives you multiple options. It's worth having 2 of a style, so you can set them up in different ways.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I see you answered your own question, but I'll point out that one advantage of having two or more planes of similar size is you can switch planes if the blade on one gets dull, rather than having to stop and sharpen in the middle of what you're doing.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

can you have too many planes i think you should have enough so that you only need to sharpen them once in a blue moon

Reply to
Electric Comet

That's not a valid reason for having more planes.

I think a Jack is a great plane. I use mine quite a bit. I guarantee once you have one you'll use it.

I have 2 jacks and jr jack.. as well as a 6 and 7

Reply to
woodchucker

you are saying that you always have a valid reason for buying more tools hats off to you

Reply to
Electric Comet

I stopped buying just to have. I don't want someone elses junk becoming my junk. I generally have to have a need, or see a future need. Or I have to see an unbeatable deal. Like a #55 for $20.

But yea, if I don't need it, I leave it for the next guy. If I need it, I buy it.

Reply to
woodchucker

Sure! "I want it" is valid enough.

Reply to
krw

woodchucker wrote in news:V6mdndiRGrDw0NzLnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

If you happen to run across another of those #55s for $20, let me know :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Hell no. I want it. :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

Here's comes my antiquarian "you suck" storIES.

About 30 or years ago I stopped by an estate sale. Not much in the way of tools but what was there was old and stuffed in a bushel basket. Going through the box I found a Stanley 55 with perhaps 6 blades. A little rough but everything was there. It cleaned up nicely. Cost? $25

About five years later, I'm BSing with a friend who was into leather working and I happened to have a small set of leather working tools I'd picked up somewhere. Mainly punches as I recall. Didn't pay squat for them but I kicked them to Vince for nada. I told him about my estate sale find and how I've got to try and find some blades for this classic chunk of iron. He tells me to stop by his place as he "might" have some

- said his wife had some stuff left over from her grandfather's place and he "thought" the box said Stanley.

He was right, he had a COMPLETE set of Stanley blades for the No. 55 in their original wooden cases. IIRC, only one of them had any sign of use, the others were untouched with some still wrapped in the amber colored wax paper. Cost to me? The $10 or $15 I had invested in the leather tools.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Oh you really suck. I have heard all the stories about how hard they are to work with, but in my limited use, and I am a lefty, I was able to get some nice molding out of it the one time I had to play with one. And that was a lefty switching to righty just to get it to work, I was able to work lefty too, but in a reverse hold, on the opposite side away from me if I remember. So it can't be that hard if I can do it.

Reply to
woodchucker