Stanley plane question

Since I already have a #4 for my smoothing work, do I really need a #5? There's a good deal on one.
Thanks,
Mike
On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 4:04:27 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:

Strike that question. I already have a #5. For some reason, I just think of it as my jack plane.
But checking on it reminds me of another question. Is there a way to refinish the "japanning" without making it look terrible, as I've seen other planes that have been spraypainted?

YES!
Multiple planes gives you multiple options. It's worth having 2 of a style, so you can set them up in different ways.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I see you answered your own question, but I'll point out that one advantage of having two or more planes of similar size is you can switch planes if the blade on one gets dull, rather than having to stop and sharpen in the middle of what you're doing.
John
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 14:04:22 -0800 (PST)

can you have too many planes i think you should have enough so that you only need to sharpen them once in a blue moon
On 11/8/2015 12:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

That's not a valid reason for having more planes.
I think a Jack is a great plane. I use mine quite a bit. I guarantee once you have one you'll use it.
I have 2 jacks and jr jack.. as well as a 6 and 7
--
Jeff

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 17:33:12 -0500

you are saying that you always have a valid reason for buying more tools hats off to you
On 11/9/2015 6:14 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

I stopped buying just to have. I don't want someone elses junk becoming my junk. I generally have to have a need, or see a future need. Or I have to see an unbeatable deal. Like a #55 for $20.
But yea, if I don't need it, I leave it for the next guy. If I need it, I buy it.
--
Jeff

If you happen to run across another of those #55s for $20, let me know :-)
John
On 11/10/2015 1:49 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Hell no. I want it. :-)
--
Jeff

On 11/10/2015 5:38 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Here's comes my antiquarian "you suck" storIES.
About 30 or years ago I stopped by an estate sale. Not much in the way of tools but what was there was old and stuffed in a bushel basket. Going through the box I found a Stanley 55 with perhaps 6 blades. A little rough but everything was there. It cleaned up nicely. Cost? $25
About five years later, I'm BSing with a friend who was into leather working and I happened to have a small set of leather working tools I'd picked up somewhere. Mainly punches as I recall. Didn't pay squat for them but I kicked them to Vince for nada. I told him about my estate sale find and how I've got to try and find some blades for this classic chunk of iron. He tells me to stop by his place as he "might" have some - said his wife had some stuff left over from her grandfather's place and he "thought" the box said Stanley.
He was right, he had a COMPLETE set of Stanley blades for the No. 55 in their original wooden cases. IIRC, only one of them had any sign of use, the others were untouched with some still wrapped in the amber colored wax paper. Cost to me? The $10 or $15 I had invested in the leather tools.

Oh you really suck. I have heard all the stories about how hard they are to work with, but in my limited use, and I am a lefty, I was able to get some nice molding out of it the one time I had to play with one. And that was a lefty switching to righty just to get it to work, I was able to work lefty too, but in a reverse hold, on the opposite side away from me if I remember. So it can't be that hard if I can do it.
--
Jeff

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:14:37 -0800, Electric Comet

Sure! "I want it" is valid enough.