Stanley plane

Today I picked up a Stanley # C557B plane at a flea market. It is a little greasy, but seems in decent shape otherwise. I was wanting a plane to learn on (sharpening and stuff ) before investing in a good one. I can't find anything on the net (google or otherwise) on this plane, except an old auction listing. Can anyone tell me anything about it, such as when it was made, was it a decent plane or was it junk, etc.? I only spent a couple of bucks on it, so I haven't lost anything even if it's only used for a paperweight. Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron S.

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 02:19:25 GMT, "Ron S." Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Try Patrick Leach's page...everything you ever wanted to know about Stanley planes. . . i don't think i have ever heard of a c557b tho,,,and don't see one on his site.

Traves W. Coppock

[snip]

Leach covers the classic Stanley-Bailey-Victor-Bedrock patterns. I'm no authority but I believe the "C" designation fell either before or after they dropped the classic markings and went over to the "HandyCrap" patterns.

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD