Stanley is buying Black and Decker for $4.5 billion in stock

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Similar to "fingernails on a blackboard", it's almost as irritating as an aspiring world leader saying "We've got" rather than "We have". My (Canadian) mother would have slapped _me_ silly for that abuse of the language...
- Doug
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:44:44 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn

With "irregardless" in there, I'm truly surprised that "newkyaler" isn't there, too. <screeeeeeech>
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------

Some dictionaries are 'descriptive' -- they catagorize things that are actually encountered 'in the wild'. Being listed in such a dictionary does _not_ give any semblance of 'legitimacy' to any given construct.
Other dictionaries are 'prescriptive' -- they catagorize how things *should* be used.
The increasing divergence between 'prescriptive' and 'descriptive' compendiums is a _damning_ indictment of the contemporary educational process.

'Irregardless' is a 'double negative', having a negating prefix _and_ a negating suffix. A decomposition gets you 'without irregard', or '*not* regardless'. It is usually 'obvious', from context, that the user of the construct does not mean "not regardless"; thus one can only conclude, "from usage" (*evil* grin), that the intent is 'without irregard', whatever _that_ means.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Merriam-Webster and Oxford both contain it--Merriam-Webster says that it is incorrect usage, Oxford says that it is American dialect. As for the "divergence between prescriptive and descriptive dictionaries, that's a polite way of saying "There's Oxford, and there's Merriam-Webster, and then there's a bunch of crap".
Any publisher of a dictionary who thinks that he controls the language is a fool.

One can level the same sort of criticism at "inflammable".
You can argue for the rest of your life that "irregardless" is not a word, thereby making a few points with a few purists and annoying everyone else, or you can find something important to argue about, your choice.

No, one *cannot*. flammable, and inflammable come from _different_ root words, _both_ are tracable all the way back to Old Latin, where the roots dispaly the same confusing similarity.
"Inflammable" comes from the same root as "inflamation", "inflamed", "inflamatory", etc.
"Flammable" comes from the same root as "flame".
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Interesting. Language is a fascinating thing.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Ah, I see. So if it's old enough it becomes a word.

It is only in -recent- (sloppy) usage that the two words have been treated as more-or-less interchangeable.
As recently as the mid 1960s, in technical usage, the two terms were as different in meaning as 'explosive' and 'high explosive'.
The difference -- exactly as with explosive/high-explosive -- was in how fast (and how readily) a thing burned. "Inflammable" things were _more_ sensitive/volatile than merely "flammable" ones.

Some dictionaries are 'descriptive' -- they categorize things that are actually encountered 'in the wild'. Being listed in such a dictionary does _not_ give any semblance of 'legitimacy' to any given construct.
Other dictionaries are 'prescriptive' -- they categorize how things *should* be used.
The increasing divergence between 'prescriptive' and 'descriptive' compendiums is a _damning_ indictment of the contemporary educational process.

'Irregardless' is a 'double negative', having a negating prefix _and_ a negating suffix. A decomposition gets you 'without irregard', or '*not* regardless'.
: Some dictionaries are 'descriptive' -- they categorize things that are actually : encountered 'in the wild'. Being listed in such a dictionary does _not_ give : any semblance of 'legitimacy' to any given construct.
Why do you need words to be legitimized?
: Other dictionaries are 'prescriptive' -- they categorize how things *should* : be used.
Acording to self-proclaimed experts who typically do not know very much about language, unfortunately. Even worse are the Edwin Newman/William Safire/Strunk & White types, who *really* do not know anything about language..
: The increasing divergence between 'prescriptive' and 'descriptive' compendiums : is a _damning_ indictment of the contemporary educational process.
Or it's a sign that a long-term fad (language prescriptivism in the poular press) is now dying, which is overall a good thing.
    -- Andy Barss

"bloody Germans" "loser" "cheap purveyor of consumer crap" "petty cash"
It seems that Festool is making a profit and satisfying their customers needs.
What's your problem with that? Can' afford it?

It's a question of utilitarian value.
Max (What's it worth to *ME*)

Teach them a lesson?????
I think we could take lessons from the Germans in this category. They tend to have excellent quality control, they insure that no one gets a better deal because of some political association with a friend. They support you supporting your local supplier rather than buying from some one across the country.
Seems to be a winning strategy that has been working for decades. IIRC what we are doing is not working so well.
Hello Leon,

After trying for four years to become a Festool dealer, I just got my first shipment of just over 100 different SKU's.
I didn't like there way of doing business when they wouldn't sell me tools, but now that I am onboard, I understand it and agree. One thousand times smarter than B&D.
David.

That looked like a pretty comprehensive display you got there, David. Right across the aisle from MiniMax no less. <G>

I see that they offer the battery drills with NiMH and NiCD batteries. What did they tell you about which to recommend for different uses? Have they published any literature on the differences?
--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by

I heard Harbor Freight bought Festool.

Lessee now: B&D includes DeWalt, Delta, Porter-Cable and Price Pfister, plus, I think, Kwikset, amongst others.
It should be interesting, unless you're one of the employees who gets laid off in the consolidation.
snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com said:

Creating an even bigger, tax dodging producer of mediocrity.
Greg G.
Now starts the RIF, Lack of work, or whatever excuse necessary to reduce the work force except for the golden parachutes given a few.
Lew