Stanley Combination Plane 45E

I have just bought a Stanley combination plane 45E via ebay. Unfortunately the instructions are missing. Is there a source where I can get a photocopy of the original instructions. Also I would like to buy some additional cutters. Where can I get a list of the cutters once available and is there a source for secondhand cutters? Thanks for helping Kai
Kai Koethe wrote:

Kai?, That's twice in two days I've heard the name. Scandinavian/Dutch/Somewhere up in that region we 'Muricans can never quite identify on a map?
Anyway, enough about you. Stan Faullin is your man. Go to his Web page and start clicking on the Stanley links. He has instruction manuals available in PDF form.
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip8/index.htm
UA100, who somewhere in all of this mess probably has a copy but couldn't lay his hands on it to save the farm...
I Believe i saw Lee Valley sells a book with all the old combo plane instructions in one.

sugsested:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageD906&category=1,46096,46107&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID #49L80.52
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Here is some information including links to descriptions of all the cutters and optionial bottoms:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm
Patrick Leach buys and sells Stanley planes and other good quality antique handtools so you might email him as to what he has available for the 45.
--

FF

I believe St. James Bay Tool Co. sells cutter blanks made out of tool steel that you can use to grind custom profiles. I visited their website a couple days ago, but tonight I tried and it's not there. Hopefully it's a temporary hiccup.
Layne
On 5 Oct 2003 14:23:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

(Layne) wrote in message

You will need to cut, file, or slowly grind them if they are low-alloy high carbon tool steel. If you use a high speed grinder you will anneal them. IIRC, the annealing temperature for O-1 or W-1 is about 325 F.
Not knocking the idea, just pointing this out.
If you really are into making your own you can buy O-1 or W-1, shape it, heat it to the Curie temperature with a torch, quench it in olive oil or tap water and anneal it in an ordinary oven.
I bought mine off of eBay, the cutters do sometimes show up.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in

Yeah, they show up all the time. You've gotta be patient though; I finally picked up a set of straight cutters for about $25, all in decent user shape.
Regards, JT