Stanley 9 1/2 vs. Stanley 60 1/2 block planes (2023 Update)

When I use a block plane, when would I use a Stanley 9 1/2 and when would I use a Stanley 60 1/2? I believe the 60 1/2 would be better for end-grain situations. Are there other deciding factors in choosing between the two planes?

Reply to
Kurt

60 1/2 is a little more aerodynamic, so you get better length when you throw it.

They're both junk. Ignore them, get the Lee Valley low-angle. The quality of manufacture is just incomparably better, A good low angle will do everything you ask of it. As you think, it's for end grain where you notice the difference.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:09:29 +0100, Andy Dingley calmly ranted:

Hi, My name's Larry and I am the delegated scrapyard host for old metal Stanley planes here on the Wreck. Don't throw them or throw them away, send 'em here.

The address at the bottom of all pages at

good.

Reduce / Recycle / Reuse !

- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? -

Full Service Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I actually use my 9. 1/2 quite a bit and it works great. I am sure the Lee Valley does as well for considerably more money. What percentage does LV pay for the promotion?

Reply to
Ge58

I prefer the #18 over the #9 1/2 myself.

Scott Lurndal