Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper Help

I got a nice used Stanley #80 cabinet scraper from ebay and need to find a replacement scraper for it...if they even make them...anyone have any clues where to find one of these cool steel replacement iron or whatever there made of??? Thanks in advance...

Tina

Reply to
Tina

I think Woodcraft sells the replacements as well as the new scrapers. You can also get the steel from any company that sells sheet metal. My guess is that it is regular cold rolled sheet steel, but it might be something weird like spring steel. All you need is a rectangle the right size. I'm assuming that you know how to put the burr on the scraper; if you don't it isn't hard to learn how to do, just look in any good woodworking book. P.S Depending on the tolerances involved, you will either need to make an educated guess on the thickness of the metal, or find someone who has an iron and measure it with a micrometer.

Reply to
woodworker88

It is worth getting a good one, it will take a lifetime to wear it out.

cerskine

Flea market saw. Cut to size and put 45-degree bevels on the long sides. Just measured mine: 2-7/16x2-13/16. Height (the smaller dimension) doesn't matter much--tall enough to be held in and short enough to not be in the way. Want the long dimension about as long as will fit between the screws on the retaining bar. Save the saw steel to make hand-held scrapers of whatever shape you need.

Reply to
alexy

set of Kunz (sp) years ago and use them but recently bought the stanley #80 and the metal is old and pitted so I wanted to get a new scraper metal for this tool...thanks to all that replied

Tina

Reply to
Tina

I also picked up the #80 at a yard sale, sans blade. I got the Hock and it is incredible. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Thanks Glen....will do..can't wait to get it now...........;-) Tina

Reply to
Tina