Stanley #80

I just picked up a Stanley #80 and was wanting to pick up a couple of spare blades for it. I have two questions:

Are the Stanley #80 and the Veritas #80 blades interchangeable?

How significant a difference in performance between the Hock and Veritas blades?

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Check the dimensions. As long as it comes through the slot and mostly fills it side to side, it should work, Stanley has all the parts for the 80 except the blade. Go figure.

A buddy of mine has the Hock in his 80, and actually thinks the blade is too stiff. IIRC the Hock blades are in the upper 50's to lower 60's Rockwell C. He seems to have a hard time making good shavings with it. My 80 has a blade made from an old hand saw blade, and according to some lit I read, this has a hardness around 45-50 Rockwell C.

At one of our hand tool meetings with the topic devoted to scrapers we made some side by side comparisons. Maybe it is our technique, but we both found my blade easier to sharpen and turn a burr than the Hock.. Maybe if we could figure out how to get his to cut we would find it lasts longer than mine. I'd expect a harder blade to last longer.

If you've got some old hand saw blades, you might try them. Mine measures about

0.040 inch, which is about the same thickness as the Hock. Peachtree makes a hand scraper that is 0.040 and can be trimmed to fit an 80. Don't know how well it will work, but only about $5 if you want to experiment.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thanks, Roy, that is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Veritras has a few blades for the #80 Stanley left in stock for about six bucks, but when they are gone, they're gone. I may just grab a couple and then play with some others.

Deb

Roy wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Looks like the blade for their cabinet scraper would fit too, and already is ground to 45 on both ends for a couple bucks less.

Reply to
Roy