Stanley #78 plane info

Ok I know that a block plane iron is positioned bevel up and that a bench plane is bevel down, but I just picked up a #78 duplex plane and was wondering which way the bevel should go on that. If used as a shoulder plane it would be on end grain the way a block plane is and if used as a bull nose then it would be used with the grain. Bought it off ebay for $10 so there was no instructions.
Also after I google it I may be asking if anyone knows an online source for Stanley instruction manuals, wouldn't want to ask before I google though. ;-)
KY
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

The #78 has the bevel down. I believe the actual name is "duplex rabbet plane" and it is in fact designed for cutting rabbets. It's use as a shoulder plane would leave much to be desired :)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
ok my brain is a bit slow today, rainy and dreary day. Too wet to work on what I had planned on so the day off is blown.

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Lawrence Wasserman" < snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote in message

On the newer (I think that means post-1920 or thereabouts) models the underside of the cutter has teeth milled into it to engage the fine adjustment lever. This removes all doubt.
Bezel down.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in message

Apologies for replying to my own article, but it should also be noted that the cutter for the 78 is asymetrical even in the earliest models. It only fits right one way, and that way is bezel down.
Unless you're making your own cutter, it would take considerable effort to get it wrong.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in message

Never underestimate people's capacity for doing something that's completely illogical. At a recent swap meet I found a wooden fore plane with the double iron in backwards and a wooden molding plane with the wedge in backwards. But the grand prize went to the guy selling a Craftsman jack plane with the tote on upside down.
Cheers, Mike
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/wood/planes/stanley-078.html
Tony D.

thanks so much
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Anthony Diodati" < snipped-for-privacy@cs.com> wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:41:48 -0500, "KYHighlander"

Stan Faullin used to have the manual (78.pdf) on his website. http://www.tooltrip.com / I can email a copy to you if it's not.
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
thanks so much