Stanley 50 combination plane

I have been having problems with this plane gouging on certain timbers; on others it's as smooth as anything.

Also it's difficult to hone the smaller cutters as they slip out of my Stanley honing guide.

Any tips to get the best out of this tool. I also have a Record 78 with which I've never had any trouble, although it's the same sort of bare iron approach.

Reply to
stanley_clifton