Stanley 444 Dovetail plane

Anyone have a link, manual (beyond what Stanley provides) or can share personal experience in using this tool ? Gonna be picking one up tomorrow and would like to learn how to use it. TIA

Reply to
JPE

of course

Very brief - I played with one, just to see what it was like.

Horrible thing to use. As for all of these iron-bodied multiplane gadgets (like the #45) there's barely any "mouth" to them and so cross-grain performance is particularly bad. Not a happy plane when cutting a dado. If you want to make sliding dovetails with it, then there are wooden dovetail planes around that do a much better job.

It's a terrible working tool and very valuable as a collectible. So flog it to someone who wants to admire it and use something better yourself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As with the 45 or 55, you'll sort of have to teach yourself how to use it. If you really like working with hand tools you may enjoy it, but a router is much easier. If there is one Stanley plane that was made immediately and totally obsolete by the (electric) router, I'd have to say this is it.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin