Stanley 129 set-up question - corrected link

First, yes, I've Googled it - for days. 1. I've never used a plane. 2. I've read a few books on planes and I know that they are sharp. 3. I have the combination of of my g-g-grandfather's plane and a small job that would seem best handled with a plane. I have a Stanley 129 that is not in new condition; but then it's pushing a hundred years old and was in daily use in its time. While the critical components look wonderful, the plane would not fetch the prices I've seen listed for the model (that's aside from sentimental value). I cannot achieve shavings - only sawdust. I think I must not setting it up correctly. There's an adjustment / positioning lever behind the blade that I don't know exactly what to do with. There's a picture showing it at: http://www.handplane.com/165/stanley-no-129-liberty-bell-fore-plane . The second picture on the right gives the best view. When moved, it changes the blade angle. However, when the frog is tightened, it moves, so I'm thinking you start with it one position, then move it to the other limit to lock. Can anyone tell me how to properly set the adjustable part or anything else about setting up this plane? Thanks.

This is a transistional plane -- the generation between the wooden plane and the "modern" metal sole plane.
The key feature for this is the adjuster that allows the blade to be raised and lowered without the use of a hammer of some sort -- one source referes to this as a "Bailey" adjuster, but it's not the same mechanism as most of us identify as a Bailey: a brass knob on a threaded post (see http://tinyurl.com/3w6lrwl -- note the middle plane shows the later clamp system, but doesn't show the adjuster as shown at http://www.handplane.com/129/stanley-no-28-fore-plane /).
Here's a better web resource from Patrick's Blood amd Gore: http://www.supertool.com/stanleybg/stan12.htm#num135
I have two larger (and marginally later) versions of this plane with the knob adjuster. With a sharpened blade and a flattened sole, these do work well. Remember, if you flatten the sole, raise the blade but leave it under tension and remove as little material as possible.

Two threads one subject. I didn't see your reply before I posted. Sorry I duplicated your input, but ya gotta love Patrick Leach's Stanley site. He should get a medal or something.
Thank you Steve for your info also. I accidentally left you out of my original reply. Yes, the sites are good. Much work went into them. Thanks, again.