Standard box/chest with lid diagram

Anyone have any instructions on how to build your basic box chest from wood? lookin to try n build the biy a toy chest but dont have like electric routers n such..

Mike Dunbar did one in Fine Woodworking Magazine a few years back. It was made with handtools. Do you have and tools and such?
Keith wrote:

What tools _do_ you have and how skilled are you at using them?
--John
"Keith" wrote

Hi Keith. Guess I'll unlurk (looks about, seems safe). Did this just a bit ago with the 14YO daughter.
Have you got tools that can cut 2x4 (or 1x3) wood and a piece of plywood to a straight line? Or hand tools and able to score a line then follow it?
Cut 4 pieces of 2x4 to the height you want the box. They must be really even. Now, accounting for these being on the outside, cut 4 more for the lenght you want, then 4 more for the width. Nail these to make a 'box' (helps to butt them against the wall as you nail it).
Got a box? Now, cut 2 sides and a front and back from plywood. Make the front and back slightly bigger by the width of the wood so the sides fit inside neatly. Nail these on. Cut a piece to fit the bottom and nail that on. Flip over, and cut a piece a bit longer (front to back) so you have a lip to raise it with. Attach this with hinges.
Sand it all down fairly well. You can now paint if you like, but we used fabric and glue instead with a pad on the 'seat'.
Sun, Feb 24, 2008, 3:13pm (EST+5) kfb snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk (Keith) doth queryeth: Anyone have any instructions on how to build your basic box chest from wood? lookin to try n build the biy a toy chest but dont have like electric routers n such..
You do not need a router. You do not need ANY electric tools in fact. Stretching it a bit, you don't even need any tools, period to make a basic box.
You can google all sorts of box/chest plans for free, on-line. Or check your local library. Once you find a bix you like, get the dimensions, then you can go to Lowes (I do not recomend Home Depot), and have them cut 1/2: plywood to the desired sizes. You can also have them cut quarter round stock to size, but probably be better to just get some sort of a small sawand do that yourself. You can then proceed to glue your box together, using a reputable wood glue - I like Titebond II. Then glue piece of quarter round on the inside corners to add strength. Viola, no-tool box/chest. I did basically just that with a large toy chest about 10 years ago and it's still holding up just fine.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.