Stair rail

We are installing a second rail on our stairs. The current rail is of wood, and the ends are mitered so the rail makes a 90 degree turn toward the wall.

|___________________|

What is the best way to fasten the miters on the end pieces?

I have biscuit capability, and have the double ended wood screws.

Are there other better methods.

Thanks Have to get this done before next week end when my mother in law comes up for the weekend.

Reply to
knuttle

I would use 2 long deck type screws and glue. One screw each way. Then plug hole over screw head. WW

Reply to
WW

Glue and screw, or nail ... screw from the end of the rail "return" that is going against the wall, or nail from from the front side and fill the holes.

There is no need to get fancy with the return.

Here's how Tom Silva on "Ask This Old House" does it (at 3:30):

Swingman

question. I got the brackets but the screws that came with it, looked puny for the application.

Reply to
knuttle