Stair building?

How do I calculate the total rise of a stairway when I can't drop a measuring tape? Like this is outside on an embankment and the ground is in the way?

Reply to
JuanKnighter

A water level can help you find the height of the top step vs. the bottom step.

A helper holds one end of the level at the top step. You're on a ladder over than landing, measuring the distance from the ground to the level indication of the water level.

Now you can measure run, and 'cause you know the rise, you can design the staircase.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I would shoot it with a transit to get an accurate reading to calculate stairs.

Reply to
Knothead

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:20:40 -0700, the opaque "JuanKnighter" spake:

Have someone stand on a 2x4 on the landing while you run a tape up to it from the bottom to get the "rise." Then measure the length of the

2x4 marks between the landing (or doorframe) and at the place of measurement (outside edge of bottom step) for the "run."

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques