Stains: Where to get Dye stains without internet ordering

Guys, what chains or Bay Area local stores might have dye stains, THICK gel stains and TransTint. I don't want to use Minwhacks gel stain.
I have been using pigment stains and have tired of the results on oak. I want a more blended look for my next project (china cabinet). I'd also consider tinting the Enduro top coats (water borne poly) if the staining process gives me close to what I want but not exactly. I don't think it would be a good idea to rely solely on toning, as deep scratches (heaven forbid!) would be too noticeable, right?
I've got a fairly good idea of what I need, but don't know where to quickly get these products. Your help will be mucho appreciated!
Footnote: I just realized that dyes are known to fade quickly, compared to pigment stains. Just how bad is this problem for water soluble dyes in your experience?
dave

somewhere?
nope! we haven't got much out here, including high speed internet access! 40 miles away there is a Woodcraft. that's about it that I know of. Rockler's closest store is 61 miles away. In fact, Mapquest suggests, "why drive when you can fly". LOL!
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Dave check the Rockler and the Woodcraft web sites.

How about Woodworkers Supply? I just called them for a catalog. ever use them, Leon? I've got a Rockler and Woodcraft catalog in my office; I'll take a look to see if there are color samples.
dave
Leon wrote:

Woodworkers supply of New Mexico and so on? Yes I have used them on occasion. I find their prices high compared to where I normally buy. IIRC they did carry Bartleys products.. I seldom order any thing through catalogs anymore unless that is the only way to get the product. Living in Houston I have a vast array of local suppliers.
yup, from NM. I don't like ordering online either. That is particularly difficult to do when trying to pick from a small color sample onscreen. If I get the wrong color, of course I'm stuck with it.
dave
Leon wrote:

Download the PDF file and zoom in. It helps alittle.
BTW: the "color" depends on your dilution rate; how many coats you apply etc. I use the color charts as a rough guide. Then I usually mix a teaspoon in about 8oz of hot water.
Amazing how far the stuff goes.
I go to them on occasion for power tools when they have a good sale price. Their stock of finishing products is on several shelves in the back of the store and look like they have been on the shelves for decades. When I first went there 8 years ago they had dusty cans of shellac that are still there today.
Hopefully mail order stuff is fresher... -Bruce
Leon wrote:

Yeah - I've used the JE Moser waterbased dyes exclusively for about a year now. I'm happy - but also too new at this to know better! :)
Since you said "without 'net ordering" - I'm not sure if you're willing to drive there. IIRC, they're N and S of me - New Mexico and Wyoming.
Our local Woodcraft has TransTint.
is Bartley Gel stains pigment or dye based? the sample images of the colors appear to me to indicate the results I get from a pigment stain such as Bonakemi's (similar in appearance to Minwhacks). here is the link to the images: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 5-212&LARGEVIEW=ON
see the prominent grain in the Golden Oak sample? that's NOT what I'm after; that's what I already get with what I'm using.
dave
Leon wrote:

Not for sure but if I had to guess I would say pigmented. You might send an e-mail to them snipped-for-privacy@goeaston.net or visit the site http://www.bartleycollection.com/finish.htm

Thanks, Leon! I tried to find them online and couldn't. I called the 800 from bartleycollection.com and they said it's pigment. that's why the sample looks similar to my current results. So that's out.
what's left; TransFast, as Bruce mentioned, but they don't have a fruitwood color. I'd have to blend several colors together; forget that.
BTW, how did you find that website? I Googled "Bartley stain" and got a bunch of sites selling it, but not the mfgr.
dave
Leon wrote:

|Thanks, Leon! I tried to find them online and couldn't. I called the |800 from bartleycollection.com and they said it's pigment. that's why |the sample looks similar to my current results. So that's out. | |what's left; TransFast, as Bruce mentioned, but they don't have a |fruitwood color. I'd have to blend several colors together; forget that. | |BTW, how did you find that website? I Googled "Bartley stain" and got a |bunch of sites selling it, but not the mfgr. | | |dave
You can always try:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com /
Go to the forum and get your questions answered, often by Jeff Jewitt himself.
Wes
thanks Wes, but now that I know they are pigment stains, they are off my short list.
dave
Wes Stewart wrote:

I Copernicked and found it. Google is just on of many, many search engines that it uses.
I searched for Bartley Gel Stain and these search engines found the site.
AOL Search, Yahoo!, HotBot, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), and AltaVista all found the site.
I tried altavista and found it. and here I thought Google was the best search engine. What was I thinking???
what is Copernicked? haven't heard that term.
dave
Leon wrote:

Copernic has been around for some time now. I have been using the pro version for years. There is a free version here if you want to try it out. I think in the versions that you pay for, the program will find the links and make sure that they are valid and automatically edit out the bad links.
http://www.copernic.com/en/products/agent/choose.html

Dave, Woodcraft carries the TransFast WB dyes and I believe the TransTint (alc based) powders. Call to be sure of stock.
The light fastness of the dyes is for all practical purposes "forever" if used inside where there is minimal UV.
-Bruce
Bay Area Dave wrote:

you. Or at least it was in November, when I bought some.
Bartley's is regularly stocked at Rockler's only Bay Area store, in Pleasant Hill. I haven't used their gel stain, but the gel varnish looks really fine on some nicely figured maple.... Rockler's also has a good selection of another brand of dyes, not Transtint, which name escapes me right now.
Patriarch