Staining walnut and curly maple (honest!)

Did anyone catch the $100,000 Trading Spaces? It was a two hour show and instead of the usual grand per household, they each had $50,000 to spend.
Designer Doug had a table made from walnut and curly maple, then proceeded to put an ebony stain on it. Carpenter Amy put the table top together and they had it drum sanded flat. She was upset because they sanded too much and some of the nail points were showing through. It was nailed from the bottom. I always used glue and screws, but I guess I should start nailing my projects like the pros do.
The only glimmer of goodness was that the table looked like crap. So crappy that Doug sanded the maple to get rid of the stain. Ed
They had $50,000 to spend and they worked with used furniture.... They coulda hired a real designer to buy everything new.

and
crappy
They stained mahogany on that show, too.

and
crappy

So what? <G>
While the show may have done it badly, good wood gets stained all the time, especially in architectural woodworking or antique restoral.
I'm not talking about figure hiding Minwax-like pigment stains, but with high quality dyes, and maybe a little high quality pigment stain. Sometimes wood needs to be more uniform, other times it need to match existing stuff, yet another time, the wood may need to match some existing or custom built by another shop furniture.
This could be any wood, like mahogany, walnut, and *gasp* even cherry.
When doing an elevator lobby, large library, etc... It's not always feasible to hand select every board, and even if you could, that wouldn't help many other situations.
Barry
amen
-- mike hide